Backyard Brewpub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poured the bar tonight.
0da5364b.jpg

Not sure, but I think I'm seeing air bubbles while you were spreading the epoxy. I'm thinking of doing this to a desk top, so how did you get the air bubbles out and was the epoxy thin (viscosity wise) to self level or did you really have to work to get it as beautiful as it looks!

Great Job and I'll take any advise you can give!

Thanks,
Mark

Yes, there are bubbles.
The consistancy was kinda like honey.
And yes, you use heat, we used a heat gun (think blow dryer on steroids) to remove bubbles and let it 'level' out.
It's actually really easy to do, fo as good as it looks.
Kinda expensive. About $700 to do the back and front bar. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

The stainless 'cap' is on, and the iron footrail for the bar.
We will be ready for the superbowl! The only thing that may not be in, is the kitchen sink,literally. The faucet that I ordered is not in yet.

stainlesscap.jpg

footrail.jpg

With all of the time you've been spending on this, I'm assuming you haven't brewed much lately?

What'll be on tap/in bottles for Sunday?

No, no time for brewing lately.
I do have aprox 4 gallons of American Brown Ale, and aprox 3 gallons of Cream Ale.
My DeKoninck clone, the whole keg, is undrinkable. Don't know what happened. :(
I also have a nice collection of Belgians in my fridge, and I'll be surrounded by BMC drinkers, so I'm good.

Yes, there are bubbles.
The consistancy was kinda like honey.
And yes, you use heat, we used a heat gun (think blow dryer on steroids) to remove bubbles and let it 'level' out.
It's actually really easy to do, fo as good as it looks.
Kinda expensive. About $700 to do the back and front bar. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Awesome, So the heat pulls the air to the top? What was the setup time or should I really ask how long did you have to get the epoxy mixed/poured/bubbles out/ and leveled? And not to keep pestering you, but did the heat also go towards helping the epoxy level out?

Thanks!

Oh, and where did you get it? Lowes?

Awesome, So the heat pulls the air to the top? What was the setup time or should I really ask how long did you have to get the epoxy mixed/poured/bubbles out/ and leveled? And not to keep pestering you, but did the heat also go towards helping the epoxy level out?

Thanks!

Oh, and where did you get it? Lowes?

I'll answer this one, it relates to what I do for a living.

Generally, heating up materials causes their viscosity to decrease, e.g. "thinning" them so they flow more easily. So heating the epoxy with a torch will cause it to flow more freely, thereby allowing the bubbles to escape much more quickly than they otherwise would. (It's a logarithmic relationship between temperature and viscosity, for those who care.)

However applying heat to epoxy resin will ALSO accelerate the curing reaction, so it's a balancing act. Heat it too little, you'll still have bubbles in it when it cures, and it may not be level. Heat it too much and you STILL might have bubbles in it when it cures, and it also might not be level! It's all a matter of balancing your working time over cure speed. You lose the ability to actually work with the material much more quickly than it actually cures completely hard and tack-free.

Sorry for the extra detail, I work with various resins etc. on a daily basis as a development engineer... :eek:

Thank you... I'll definitly start with something much less important than a display piece like that bar!

Again... Beautiful work!

This is an awesome build! I hope the Saints win this weekend to make it all the merrier!

The tap handles came with the keggerator.
I have 3 homebrews in there. 2 on tap and a picnic tap.

I just have to say once again, this is fantastic. Great job and I hope you have a great super bowl day.

I am a Peyton Manning fan... I hope the Colts win the Super Bowl. However, I find it very difficult to pull against the Saints because the New Orleans area has been a large part of my life. I have eaten crawfish and drank beer within sight of the Huey Long Bridge when my sister lived there and I still have a nephew living there. I have eaten shrimp creole in Lafayette and have hauled loads (tractor trailer) in and out of the entire area. My heart was broken when I saw the Katrina damage and I was in despair at the sight of the damage done to the Superdome by the hurricane.
The Saints certainly deserve better than they have gotten. The Mannings are also having a difficult time with their loyalties that they have with the people living in the area and the Saints football team.
I hope the Colts win, but please allow me to say:
Good Luck Saints Fans
:mug:

I hope we get to see some pics of this place being broken in. Oh...and how many of you Saints fans are calling in sick to work tomorrow?:D

I thought of you guys as the game came to a close. I didn't think the Colts could handle the Saints. The wood on the bar is beautiful. I've never seen that type of wood, especielly around her in the Hoosier State. Awesome build! An exhausting journey with a beautiful end. Something to be proud of. :ban: :rockin: :tank: :mug:

Well, the Saints won. Whodat?
Here are some pics from Layne's Cypress Tiger Tavern. We had a great time, the food was wonderful and everyone there treated us like family.
Enjoy....

This is Layne...
IMG_15313.JPG

IMG_15271.JPG

IMG_15371.JPG

Layne,

See what happens! If you build it they will win!!! You should have done this years ago!!! LOL

WHO DAT!!!

Great shots, (good camera :D) hawgbranch

thanks for sharing. Looks like a good time was had by all.
Congrats Layne, on the Saints win - and the AWESOME build!

Yeah that last failed play catch cost the wifey a $500 win, she won $5 instead
in the pool. Hey looks like a you had a great time in the fun room, many more in in your future congrats.

So how does it feel, Layne, to know that every guy there that night went home, waited until his wife was asleep, and quietly cried himself to sleep knowing that wasn't his bar?
:mug:

Thanks guys.
It was a great time, and it's so cool to be so close to being finished.
We WIL enjoy this room MANY times for MANY years.

So two quick questions...

1) What's the square footage of this compared to, oh say, your home? (did the home get demoted to "pool house"? I know my wife wouldn't use the home's kitchen anymore, lol)

2) Do you charge a cover to pay for this?

Looks soooo damn awesome, and congrats on a perfect christening!!!

Latest posts

Back