Why do I need a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Well Ima answer my own question here due to my first blow off experience. Spent the night at the girls place and came back in the morning to discover my ale pale lid halfway across the room. I was pretty excited to see that but then got to thinking, "how long has it been off?" and "could it have gotten infected?"

I also got some new insight into yeast too. Previously I always used dry but this recipe called for WLP300. As you can see the damn thing went off like a rocket. So I will be using liquid from here on. Or maybe even trying to not be a newbie and washing my yeast from this recipe, as I can see they were some bad ass bitches.

I will be using a blow off tube from now on.

I dunno, I've done 7 batches in 7.5 gallon fermentors with 3 piece airlocks and never had a blow off tube. The krausen line has never been too awfully close to the lid or air lock once I've removed the lid to rack. I've also used a variety of dry and liquid yeasts. Guess its kind of like Dirty Harry "You feelin' lucky punk!"

The first time you have to clean yeast, krausen and beer off the ceiling and walls, will make you a firm believer in blow off tubes.

I always have to when using Wyeast.

Honestly, I believe the yeast in Wyeast know when your not using a blow-off tube.

-bn

These threads... worthless without pics.

*sigh*

I've been doing all my batches in 6gal carboys and so far I havent had a krausen even approach the neck. I have a plan to pitch onto a cake in a couple weeks though and I'm betting that one will be a gusher.

Saw a couple of these on you-tube when I was starting out....I always use a blow-off for the first week of primary.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9QMiMy8q0]YouTube - You're going to need a blow-off tube for that.[/ame]

Back