Wow!! This is awesome but I need help ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, never thought anything would materialize out of this... about 3 weeks ago I put in a order from the USDA for some Sorachi Ace clippings for some research I intend to complete. Well, they actually showed up today. Take a look at the attached picture. Anyone know what I need to do to get these started. I was predicting rhizomes... help please! :rockin:

Toss them in some moist dirt! If you have some rooting hormone around put some on the base and put the cutting all the way down till the base of the leaves barley touch the dirt! Keep it moist and warm and it should take pretty soon.

There's many ways to propagate from cuttings but this always seems to do the trick for me!

Good luck!

Toss them in some moist dirt! If you have some rooting hormone around put some on the base and put the cutting all the way down till the base of the leaves barley touch the dirt! Keep it moist and warm and it should take pretty soon.

There's many ways to propagate from cuttings but this always seems to do the trick for me!

Good luck!

Well, I went and got some Miracle Grow potting soil and some superthrive vitamins / hormones for plants. I diluted about a tablespoon and let them soak for about 15 minutes. Then added them to my small potting bucket and placed a plastic bag (clear) and secured it with a bungle cord. Kind of a mini green house. We shall see! Thanks!! :ban:

Could you tell us how you went about that with the USDA. I'm VERY interested in this.

I actually just ran across a website that had a link. I saw Sorachi Ace as an available plant, I then filled out a brief questionnaire thinking that nothing would every come of it. If I can find the link I will PM you.

Apparently you can get almost any plant from the government for "experiments"... almost any;) There are a couple threads on here about doing it. I got some chinook last year but what sucked is that i got them in August as well, and in GA August is a horrible time to plant anything. Good luck on your sorachi!! it is a great hop.

I actually just ran across a website that had a link. I saw Sorachi Ace as an available plant, I then filled out a brief questionnaire thinking that nothing would every come of it. If I can find the link I will PM you.

I'd like a copy of the link too please

Apparently you can get almost any plant from the government for "experiments"... almost any;) There are a couple threads on here about doing it. I got some chinook last year but what sucked is that i got them in August as well, and in GA August is a horrible time to plant anything. Good luck on your sorachi!! it is a great hop.

Did your Chinook make it? If so how did you get it to grow properly?

I'd like a copy of the link too please

Agreed! I'm sure the Japanese and Yakima hop industries can bear a few crazed homebrewers growing proprietary hops at home. A link to the order form for the cuttings would be much appreciated!

Link to get hops:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/humcult.html

some searching around will provide more answers, especially the 'how' 'when' and 'what's required'

None of the available hops are proprietary, and it's likely the proprietary hops remain with the developers until the patent runs out, and maybe then goes to the USDA for research.

Did your Chinook make it? If so how did you get it to grow properly?

I root cuttings regularly off of my plants without rooting hormone. Fill up a beer bottle with water to the base of the neck. Stick the cut end of the bine until it is barely submerged in the water. (the neck should hold the bine well enough that you can prop it in a windowsill.) It will sprout roots within 2-3 weeks. Give it another 2 weeks to develop the root system then plant.

Good luck!

lastsecondapex said:
I root cuttings regularly off of my plants without rooting hormone. Fill up a beer bottle with water to the base of the neck. Stick the cut end of the bine until it is barely submerged in the water. (the neck should hold the bine well enough that you can prop it in a windowsill.) It will sprout roots within 2-3 weeks. Give it another 2 weeks to develop the root system then plant.

Good luck!

Yeh I do the same think with solo cups. When the root system gets big enough I sprinkle miricle grow in slowly till it's full. then drain the water. This keeps the roots in suspension and doesn't damage them.

From the websites distribution policies:

The National Plant Germplasm System provides germplasm to support research and education objectives.

Due to the intensive effort and resources required to ensure availability of germplasm for this purpose, we are unable to distribute it for home gardening or other purposes that can utilize readily available commercial cultivars.

I better not see any of you over on the debate forum complaining about the abuse of government assistance programs....just sayin'...

From the websites distribution policies:

The National Plant Germplasm System provides germplasm to support research and education objectives.

Due to the intensive effort and resources required to ensure availability of germplasm for this purpose, we are unable to distribute it for home gardening or other purposes that can utilize readily available commercial cultivars.

I better not see any of you over on the debate forum complaining about the abuse of government assistance programs....just sayin'...

He's using it to research and educate himself (and hopefully us) on "the effects of certain hop varieties pertaining to specific homebrew applications".

Sounds legit to me!

He's using it to research and educate himself (and hopefully us) on "the effects of certain hop varieties pertaining to specific homebrew applications".

Sounds legit to me!

If you say so....The other issue I have with this is the OP doesn't even know what to do with the stuff he got!

So not only did make his request under questionable circumstances, there is a fair chance that he going to waste MORE taxpayer money by botching the propagation of the stock they sent him. What is he going to do then, put in another request for some more free s*it from the gubmint?

This is exactly the reason why the policies are in place; to keep some yahoo from wasting resources that can be put to good use (like ya know, ACTUAL research!)...too bad they aren't enforced obviously.

If you say so....The other issue I have with this is the OP doesn't even know what to do with the stuff he got!

So not only did make his request under questionable circumstances, there is a fair chance that he going to waste MORE taxpayer money by botching the propagation of the stock they sent him. What is he going to do then, put in another request for some more free s*it from the gubmint?

This is exactly the reason why the policies are in place; to keep some yahoo from wasting resources that can be put to good use (like ya know, ACTUAL research!)...too bad they aren't enforced obviously.

You really take life seriously, huh?

It's not like the guy went and got a free MRI machine installed in his house. It's a piece of a plant. BFD.

You really take life seriously, huh?

It's not like the guy went and got a free MRI machine installed in his house. It's a piece of a plant. BFD.

I would say "realistically' as opposed to 'seriously'. When this topic came up a few years ago there must have been zillions of homebrewers trying to obtain germplasm from them as the statement about 'excluding home gardeners' was added later. Sure, it's a government organization but it's a part of the government that actually does some good for the rest of our society. Unfortunately, Agriculture isn't a real flashy subject/department when it comes to our government and when budget time comes around, they usually fall near the bottom so they're working with limited resources. Just an observation.

Fair enough. I live in Canada so my government is just a giant failure all around - probably why I'm so indifferent. I have had 32 years of "who effing cares" drilled in to my head from our asinine 'leadership'.

I'm convinced we could eliminate the entire federal government and the country would basically just run itself. The provinces, regions, and municipalities can figure it out.

I did know what to anticipate. I didn't even think it would be sent honestly. Chill out. I indicated I am looking to observe & measure the potential yield of the Sorachi Ace plant vs. native hop plants (U.S.) here in Ohio. Will my finding be completely 100% scientific, no, but if the government request data in 4 or 5 years then I will give them some. I'm not trying to scam the government.

Just because I did not know what to do with them is not my fault. I did not know what they were going to send me. At least I took the time to research and develop a plan of what to do with them vs. just putting them in the compost. They could have easily contacted me as I provided all my information.

Sorachi Ace is not available commercially.

I did know what to anticipate. I didn't even think it would be sent honestly. Chill out. I indicated I am looking to observe & measure the potential yield of the Sorachi Ace plant vs. native hop plants (U.S.) here in Ohio. Will my finding be completely 100% scientific, no, but if the government request data in 4 or 5 years then I will give them some. I'm not trying to scam the government.

Just because I did not know what to do with them is not my fault. I did not know what they were going to send me. At least I took the time to research and develop a plan of what to do with them vs. just putting them in the compost. They could have easily contacted me as I provided all my information.

You mean you didnt' know what GERMPLASM was?? PFFFT...

I think you should now get a custom license plate: GERMPLSM

Fair enough. I live in Canada so my government is just a giant failure all around - probably why I'm so indifferent. I have had 32 years of "who effing cares" drilled in to my head from our asinine 'leadership'.

I'm convinced we could eliminate the entire federal government and the country would basically just run itself. The provinces, regions, and municipalities can figure it out.

I know lots of folks here in the US who think the same way and the numbers are growing every day. It's just sad that so many believe that one or the other party will do what's right for the majority. I know how to make beer and bread and try to ignore all the other stuff. Helps me to ease the pain a little.

The fact that you are on a homebrewrewing site would suggest that testing yield of Sorachi Ace vs. native was not your primary reason for making this request, no?

Answer this then: Do you consider yourself a home gardener?

Just because I did not know what to do with them is not my fault.

How isn't it your fault? You were the one who requested them.

I did not know what they were going to send me.

You could have called. I found a phone number in 20 seconds, did you look?

At least I took the time to research and develop a plan of what to do with them vs. just putting them in the compost.

They could have easily contacted me as I provided all my information.

The fact you posted pictures of the bines, along with a post saying "I need help ASAP" would suggest you DID NOT develop a plan. Also, why is it their responsibility to make sure you know what you are doing?

I think we are getting to the heart of why you made the request.:p

You mean you didnt' know what GERMPLASM was?? PFFFT...

I think you should now get a custom license plate: GERMPLSM

I would hazard a guess that any graduate student in plant biology would know what they meant by germplasm. That is why some people are qualified to make requests of USDA ARS and some people are not.

In all honesty I never thought anything would materialize out of the request. Yes, of course if I get hops I will brew with them, but I'm also interested in doing some basic research as well. I apologize if you think I abused something here, that was not my intentions of the thread. I'm a honest person who would not take advantage of the government. In fact they took advantage of me with my 8 years of Marine Corps service. :mug:

scientist [ˈsaɪəntɪst]
n
a person who studies or practices any of the sciences or who uses scientific methods

Sounds pretty general to me and they don't include "requirements" to plant so much acreage, info on funding grants or even institution info. Time for me to pull out my notes from all my botany courses I took in college!

Eh, the parameters of "research" are pretty vague here. Since there's no real documented requirements to produce anything specific, I'd say the providers of the material aren't particularly fussy about who they send this stuff to.

And it's not like cuttings from hop plants are particularly expensive, rare, dangerous.

broadbill said:
So not only did make his request under questionable circumstances, there is a fair chance that he going to waste MORE taxpayer money by botching the propagation of the stock they sent him.

I also put in a request, and I also intend to do some research but I'll reimburse you quite generously since this upsets you. I figure it'll cost you less than a penny for everyone on this site to request a few cuttings but I'm willing to give you a nickel to offset your personal financial loss and also lost sleep over the matter

I submitted my request today. My research will be to determine the difference between 3 different strains on hops and their yields.
I am going to split each rhizome and grow one in optimal light conditions and the other in less than optimal light conditions, plant all 6 and wait to see if there is any noticeable difference in yields between each strain and between the optimal vs less than optimal plants...

Is this research enough?

Oh and then I plan to use then in a brew. :)

I submitted my request today. My research will be to determine the difference between 3 different strains on hops and their yields.
I am going to split each rhizome and grow one in optimal light conditions and the other in less than optimal light conditions, plant all 6 and wait to see if there is any noticeable difference in yields between each strain and between the optimal vs less than optimal plants...

Is this research enough?

Oh and then I plan to use then in a brew. :)

Just a FYI, you will not receive rhizomes. Good luck! :mug:

I received some cascade cuttings form this program last year. I was able to successfully propagate both of them, but one died during some extreme heat. This year I have a good amount of hops on the plant :).

Did anyone receive a confirmation email, phone call, etc after placing their request?

odinsgift said:
Did anyone receive a confirmation email, phone call, etc after placing their request?

I don't think so, considering the OP said he was surprised.

Please stop bumping this, guys. If hundreds of people start ordering, they're going to change how they do things, and nobody will end up getting them as a result. Think about that for a second people!

I don't think so, considering the OP said he was surprised.

Please stop bumping this, guys. If hundreds of people start ordering, they're going to change how they do things, and nobody will end up getting them as a result. Think about that for a second people!

Hey, you're from Canada! Get your own government subsidized hop plants, why don'cha?! :D

For an update.... my sorachi ace already has a new baby bine coming out for original node. So, I guess my strategy for regrowing is working.

Back