Cole slaw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycov

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm smoking a butt tonight for dinner tomorrow. i feel weird not making cole slaw with bbq, so i always make it, but dad is only one who eats it. i just can't get into it. don't get me wrong, it doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't add anything to the bbq so i don't bother eating it. so for tomorrow i was trying to think of some twist i could put on it to make it a little more interesting. i think i want to add some kind of fruitiness that will go well with the pork. i was thinking something with avacado and pinapple? avocado and mango maybe? do any of you guys have any ideas?

usually mayo based with some vinager added. i saw some posts about the vinager based cole slaw when i did my search (you may have been one of the posters). that would probably be a good step up from the mayo. i was kinda looking to do something a little wierd, but if i can't find anything that strikes my fancy i probably will be doing a vinegar slaw (with no mayo).

thanks for the tip!

the deli at work makes a brocolli slaw with dried cranberries in it. pretty damn good!

for what its worth, i ended up going with pineapple and red pepper slaw. i didn't really use a recipe, but the amounts should be easy enough to figure out if you want to make this, it was really good! last night when i was smoking the pork i quartered the pineapple and smoked it. i took a bag of cole slaw mix (cabbage and carrots) to that added three of the smoked pineapple quarters (chopped up) red pepper and red onion sliced thin like the cabbage. for the dressing i used half mayo half sour cream and a splash of milk and mushed an avocado in with it. some sugar, salt and pepper, and mint and chives from the garden. it was delicious!

for the record, i'm not sure how much the avocado added. maybe a little creaminess, but with all the other flavors it was pretty much drowned out (but didn't detract anything either). i may try it again with out the avocado, but i was really pleased with how it came out. the red pepper and smoked pineapple went great with the pork!

also thanks for the link yooper. your recipe was one of the ones i was thinking about originally. i love vinegar, but haven't had vinegar based slaw yet. i probably will do one soon. i like the idea of pouring the oil and vinegar on and not stirring. it makes sense

Back