American IPA Anna's Kickin' IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Nope.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Great citrus flavor, with a finishing roasty note!
[Note: as with all my brews, this is named after my wife, because I know what's good for me.]

Grain Bill:
8lbs of Pale 2-Row
3lbs of German Munich Malt (light)
0.5lbs of CaraRed

I have a RIMS system, and mashed this for 70 minutes at 150F. Collected about 7 gallons of 1.047 wort, which is ~75% efficiency (usually I can hit 85%, but I was having mill issues, and blame that!). I then did a 90m boil to get about 5.25 or 5.5ish gallons of 1.064 in the fermentor. Give or take.

Hop Schedule:
1.00oz of Columbus (90m)
0.50oz of Centenniel (60m)
0.50oz of Amarillo (30m)
0.50oz of Amarillo (5m)
0.50oz of Crystal (1m)

Chill to 67-68, oxygenate with a stick, and pitch a packet of Wyest 1056, no starter.

By day 7, gravity was down to 1.010 and finished, though I gave it another 7 to start clearing before cold crashing.

DRY HOP (keg)
1oz of Amarillo and 0.5oz Crystal.

When I first sampled this, I thought I had an off flavor because I wasn't expecting the flavor contributions of the Munich malt and carared. I bottled a few from the keg and brought one to MoreBeer (3miles away... woo!) and they assured me that, not only was there no off-flavor, but that it was quite tasty!

Once I got past the fact that there was a malt/toffee presence, and that it was not contamination/an off-flavor, the flavor REALLY grew on me.

Everyone I've given bottles to raved about it. The keg is gone, and I need to rebrew it, but here's a picture from a friend who texted it to me while enjoying her dinner of nachos :) Tough to tell from the pic, but even with dry hopping, this does clear up pretty well.

I do have a bottle left I'm saving for a friend. Once he opens and pours it, I'll take a better pic!

IPA.jpg

Hi im about to brew an IPA with a similar grain bill I love Munich use it a lot on my red ale first time on a IPA.

Your beer looks great.

I'm using
25 lb of 2 row
5 lb of Munich
1.50 C-40
10 oz of Carapils

( 13 gallon batch )

Still not sure what hops to use I do now I'm using cascade

What do you think about my grain bill? I'm going for a sweet malty taste

Your batches are larger than mine, but from a proportion standpoint, it looks like your ratio of base-malt to munich is a little lower than mine, though you make up for it somewhat with the crystal. Mine, had very little crystal (8oz of carared) but still had a definite sweet flavor profile. I would assume your addition of crystal will keep things in line.

Keep me posted on it. The grain bill looks good, and I'm curious to know how things turn out.

I will thanks for answering

I'm using Cascade and Amarillo still thinking of one more hop to use just don't know

any suggestions?

I honestly haven't used Cascade in a while, but Amarillo is one of my favorite hops. I just made a double-IPA using 100% Citra hops that was absolutely heavenly. It's a high alpha (mine were 14.2%), but not harsh at all. Great flavor/nose.

It is High never used it before.

Used galena once and didn't like it also a high alpha hop.

I'll give it a try at 30 minutes and 15 minutes

Back