How does this RIS recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to brew an RIS sometime this week and I was hoping to do something similar to Surly Darkness. I found this recipe online, does it look like it would turn out good?

10 lbs. Maris Otter
5 lbs. Golden Promise
2 lb Oat Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Special B
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Roasted Barley
8oz Belgian Choclate malt
8oz Black Patent
1 lb Candi Syrup D-180

1.5 oz Horizon Pellet - 60 min
1 oz East Kent Golding - 10 min
1.5 oz East Kent Golding - 0 min

Yeast: Pitch on top of WYeast 1028 London Ale currently being used on a Dry Stout.

I plan to age this until July, bottle it, then drink it next November.

Any critiques would be great! This will be my first high gravity all-grain batch in my new 10 gallon mash tun. I do have a 5 gallon mash tun that I've made about 15 batches with so I this won't be my first all grain batch.

Thank you!

Umm, that sounds delicious. My experience with RIS batches (I've only brewed one!) is that if you make a gigantic starter (as close to 1 gallon as you can get), the thing will explode with activity and possibly be done fermenting within a week (1 gallon WY1968 starter did that for mine).

Looks tasty. Your efficiency might go down a bit with all that grain.

Save the candi syrup. Opt for light bel candi sugar, but add it at slowdown of ferment as a boiled, cooled liquid. It will help dry it and increase abv; landing it in RIS land.

I only have one post becauss i vot kicked off for talkimg about a poster that controls everything on here.

thanks for info, I picked up all the ingredients above. I also added a pound of flaked oats to add some thickness and mouthfeel. I'll be brewing this up on Sunday! I'm hoping to get a second smaller beer out of the second and third runnings.

I have a bottle of 2012 Surly Darkness that I hope to do a side by side comparison next fall to see how close it comes.

I think that looks great, good luck. Just make sure you keep that temp down because that beer will take off insanely with a repitch ontop of a previous cake. Use a blow off tube also or else there will be beer on the ceiling. All that flaked might kill your head retention from the oils but probably shouldnt be a huge problem. Good luck and happy brewing.

I brewed this one up yesterday. After a 3 hour boil to concentrate the wort I ended up with a SG of 1.110 with 5.25 gallons. 45 min. after dumping this beer on the yeast cake fermentation was going strong, and this morning had beer on the concrete from the blow-off container overflowing. The temp is sitting right around 65 on the thermometer on the bucket. Looking forward to see how this one turns out! :ban:

Back