How can anyone drink Budweiser ...yuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Last night a friend offered me a bud and i hadn't drank one in years so i decided to take one and i almost threw up... its piss water in a bottle ...why would anyone spend good money on the commercial beers when so many good small breweries make great brew?

A lot of people haven been introduced to craft, and feel lost in the isles. So they go to what they've always known, piss.

I'm with you on this one. I think our palate changes.. It is all in what you get use to drinking. I drank bud for years and thought it was the best! Now that i've expanded my horizons and drink some craft beer and brew my own I cant stand the taste of bud ( what little taste that there is)

A lot of my friends drink Bud and love it, I used to love it and hated craft beer. Everyone rips BMC, but I find it pretty amazing that they can brew that much beer with constancy. You'll never get a case that tastes different, I can't say that for some of the craft beers that I've had. I've had infected beer, completely different tastes and I've bought many craft beers that I've dumped because they were just awful.

Its too flavorless to be that offensive. I can drink it, but generally choose to not drink beer if that is my only choice.

On my last brew day,my son bought me a 24 ouncer to go with a couple of old milwaukee beers I had. The bud light 24 tasted like fizz water by comparison. almost no flavor at all. Yuk. I used to drink bud because it had the most ABV.

Congrats!!! You've hit the 1 millionth Budweiser drinking thread milestone!! :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::mug::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

OK, it's light sarcasm so don't get offended ;) I'd say 90% drink it because it's so cheap. The large majority of individuals I see in the store buying 24oz Bud cans don't look too well off. Now of course not everyone drinking Bud is poor or on hard times so don't everyone get all tissy about that comment, I just think the overwhelming majority drink it for that sole reason... it's *cheaper* than soda or bottled water!

I'd say about 5% drink it solely for the advertising and name recognition. Believe it or not there are people walking around that honestly believe the most advertised and most selling products are the best out there. There are some that believe Dominos is king of pizza. The other 5% are simply used to it and genuinely love it.

Rev.

I keep PBR in my garage fridge, and will continue to do so even after my first home brew is done. Where I live, you can get a case of PBR tall boys for $20, and that's cheaper than Bud. Has more body and taste than Bud, too.

I really like the best craft/micro beers. I buy them regularly, but that's not the only kind of beer I drink. Even if you can afford it, you can't eat lobster every day or it'll start to get boring. Ya gotta throw in a hamburger or a chili dog or plate of french fries regularly. Makes you appreciate the lobster even more. :)

It's cheap and everywhere.. I still drink it when it's the only option but in small amounts.. I seem to get headaches when I drink it, especially the next day :cheers:

Price, and its all they know. When you grow up on certain things its what you come to expect until you venture out and get used to different. For example, most people who dont consider themselves wine drinkers will pick a cheaper wine over a more expensive one out in a blind taste test because it is usually what they are used to and have not yet trained their pallate for the nuances of their more classy versions.

Advertising. If it really did contain piss, but people related to the advertising, some would still drink it. I don't know how many bud drinkers have told me it gives them a headache but still insist on drinking it.

I have a job I hate, I can't stand being around my wife, my kids write stuff on my face when I am.....um asleep, my life is crap......but, on the upside, I AM drinking the "king of beers".

If it's a headache you want, I can sell you a rubber mallet to hit yourself on the head with.....and you only have to pay for the mallet once, not every time you hit yourself.

How can anyone drink sour beers? Those taste like barnyard, wet dog, and general funk. Yuck!

Seriously though, everyone has their tastes and there is nothing wrong with Budweiser. It might not satisfy a palate desiring full flavors, however it is a very difficult beer to make and takes real skill, science, and dedication to pull off.

There is a use for cheap light beers. Beer pong games! Don't want to waste good craft brews!

I drank Miller Light for years because it's cheap and refreshing in the heat of summer and doesn't get me sloshed like drinking 3-4 of my IPA's would. Cheap low taste session beers still have a use to me even as my tastes in craft beer gets more refined.

Congrats!!! You've hit the 1 millionth Budweiser drinking thread milestone!! :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::mug::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

OK, it's light sarcasm so don't get offended ;) I'd say 90% drink it because it's so cheap. The large majority of individuals I see in the store buying 24oz Bud cans don't look too well off. Now of course not everyone drinking Bud is poor or on hard times so don't everyone get all tissy about that comment, I just think the overwhelming majority drink it for that sole reason... it's *cheaper* than soda or bottled water!

I'd say about 5% drink it solely for the advertising and name recognition. Believe it or not there are people walking around that honestly believe the most advertised and most selling products are the best out there. There are some that believe Dominos is king of pizza. The other 5% are simply used to it and genuinely love it.

Rev.

I used to drink bud in bottles when I easily could have picked up a 30pk of keystone light for a lot less. I don't think most people drink bud because it's cheap. Not even close.

I drink folgers coffee. Why? Well, for one I think it tastes perfectly fine. I've drank Starbucks, Seattle's Best, etc. and they don't blow my socks off to the point where I want to spend that much more just so I can have a cup of coffee in the morning (and there's no way in hell I'm going to wait until I'm ready to go and go to a coffee shop to get my first cup). I drink coffee because I like it, it's familiar and comforting...but best of all, it's chock-full of caffeine, which is probably my favorite thing about coffee.

So, back in the day, my favorite thing about beer was that it had alcohol in it. Budweiser has alcohol in it and it isn't hard to drink. Nothing funky going on, no murky, sludge-like liquid in there. Just bright, clear, clean tasting goodness. It fit the bill just fine, and for a lot of people it still does.

Vodka is judged based on how little flavor it has. The less, the better. There's nothing inferior about vodka compared to, say, whiskey. Whisky is supposed to have big complex flavors. Two different options for different types of drinkers or different occasions.

I never understood the beer snobbery thing. :drunk: People have different tastes, I like fish sticks, but I won't eat Sushi or any other fish for that matter. Some people will say I'm uneducated, I'd say to them that they're a d-bag.

I agree with you for the most part.

I feel that the only people who should be shunned are the picky eaters/drinkers. Those people who won't even try something new for fear of not liking it. This applies to beer drinkers or food eaters. Nothing annoys me more than for someone to not even try something I cook because they are picky and it doesn't look or sound good to them.

Personally I'll try everything once. I do have some dislikes but people that dislike half of the food you can order in a restaurant or won't try a beer because of the color are the people I find must annoying. :cross:

I like to look at it like this.

Back when I was a kid, I ate bologna like it was no ones business. Every meal, I wanted bologna.

Now that I'm older, I love steak, 24/7. So good, so delicious, whats not to love? Better in every way compared to bologna.

So, if I'm going to sit down to a nice dinner, maybe I'll make a nice steak, but if I'm just having a quick dinner, maybe in the middle of yard work, a bologna sandwich will do just fine.

because they are mindless zombies that have been caught up in the big money markenting ploy of cool half time commericals during super bowl.:ban:
because they were introduced to it as a teen and never branched out to expand their horizons due to peer presure and convienence.:(
because buttwiper is the king of markenting and weak minds buy into the scam.:drunk:
because they are ignorant of good taste.......:eek:
because they are hooked to the taste just as some smokers prefer one brand over another cancer stick.:D
because they are lazy & too trifling to seek greater pleasures.:p
this could go on forever.......;)

GD51

I like Bud......and most other beer (BMC, Craft Brew, and the beer I brew myself). If we turned the clock back about 25 years I would probably say that the BMC beers are the only good ones. Looks like I (like most other people) have evolved in my tastes.:mug:

Eric

I think cheap is a big part of it, next is advertising, and a biggie ( I think ) is people I know that drink beers like Bud or Busch drink A LOT. It's cheap, doesn't fill you up, and if you are drinking with other people you can drink a lot of it.

One of the beers that stands out as damn good this year was a bud light.

I was helping a neighbor build a water feature in his yard. After moving and arranging rocks in 100 degree weather, he gave me an ice cold bud light and it was a slice of heaven.

I like bud and kokanee and all those light refreshing lagers. Especially when its hot out. Although our bud does taste different then yours.

I was hooked on canned Michelob early in my military career. I could get it for 50cents a can out of the dispenser in the barracks. I grew up sampling the beers my dad and uncles would get from the brewery in Frankenmuth. After joined the Service, it was much cheaper to buy what was in the machines and it wasn't too bad. I still had a taste for better beer and that is what lead me to homebrewing in the early 80s, well that and a neighbor who was doing it and taught me.

Yooper said:
Because they like it? Just like some people like Coke, or Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper, while I don't. I don't knock them for liking Diet Coke, even though I don't like it. So what? I don't care what other people like or don't like.

I couldn't have said it better. Besides, on a hot day when I'm actually thirsty, I don't want something too malty or hoppy. I may just opt for a PBR after cutting the grass. Light, crisp lagers have their place in the world of beer. Plus they don't give me awful trots the next morning like a full bodied beer.

I like bud and coors; it's great on a hot day or after a long day.

It's like cigars - sometimes I want a complex cigar, other times I jsut want something to play with and don't wanna waste a complex cigar when I'm not in the mood to concentrate on the flavors. On my porch, I'll take a nice Man O' War Ruination; on the golf course, I'll just take any old no-name connecticut to play with

snowtires said:
I like bud and kokanee and all those light refreshing lagers. Especially when its hot out. Although our bud does taste different then yours.

Kokanee is superior to bud IMO. It still isn't craft beer but it can be consumed at temperatures above freezing without making me gag.

I couldn't have said it better. Besides, on a hot day when I'm actually thirsty, I don't want something too malty or hoppy. I may just opt for a PBR after cutting the grass. Light, crisp lagers have their place in the world of beer. Plus they don't give me awful trots the next morning like a full bodied beer.

I'm the same way. I crave an ice cold Miller Lite after a day of sweating away on yard work. :mug:

kaconga said:
Kokanee is superior to bud IMO. It still isn't craft beer but it can be consumed at temperatures above freezing without making me gag.

It must be that glacier fresh drinking taste, i drank kokanee that was brewed in edmonton, NOT the same. They sell kokanee gold at some stores and that is a nice beer kind of a pale lager or sorts.

edds5p0 said:

Call me crazy but when I'm thirsty I drink water. When I want beer I drink beer. Drinking should be about the ride, not the destination.

I have to eat to survive, but food is amazing so as long as I have to make it I try to make the best I can. Otherwise I'd eat dog chow, I don't even like dog chow.

I guess who really cares? Just because I homebrew amazing beer doesn't mean I now have a right to call all BMC drinkers erroneous. I grew up on "big beer" because we never had money nor anyone really cared about craft back then. It's an emerging industry. If someone wants to grab a quick big Mac as oppose to a nice sit down steak house, I'm not going to question it, or really even care for that matter.

I don't drink craft beer to be cool. If I'm out of beer and a buddy came over with a 6 pack of Bud, I'd happily drink it with him w/o complaining.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it in Oklahoma. Last I checked you can't get it anywhere in the state at the full %. My BIL picked some up and I could hardly drink it. It's been awhile, but last time I had regular Bud I enjoyed it. I tend to like fuller flavored styles though pretty much always.

I felt sexier knowing that a super model was about to come out of a wall, shake out her hair, give me NASCAR season tickets and a ZJ.

They have their place. I have no shame in picking up an 18 pack of Coors for drinking while doing work around the house, they are cheap and go great with hot weather and manual labor. Also, I never turn down a beer unless its I have to drive, work or study :D.

I do understand that everyone has their own taste but that's just the thing, there is no taste in bud.
Like I said before, the people that I know that drink Bud on purpose are people that drink a lot and want something cheap and not filling. They are about quantity.

Don't get ur monocles out of place but......

I think Bud, PBR, and Coor's banquet are pretty tasty and would gladly drink one, free or not. I've also had more than a few craft beers I've poored out or could barely choke down.

It is a alcholic beverage and im guessing 95% of adults in the U.S.A. have heard of or seen there symbol. So ill say image because if they wanted cheap they would buy the 6.99 18 packs that are being sold these days

Back