DFH 75 min yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
Just scored a couple bottles of this. Anyone know if thy filter then repitch? Or is this the house strain in there waiting for some more fun?

It's naturally conditioned, so no, it's not filtered, but they use Ringwood for most of their non-yeast driven beers, so if you culture something, that's probably it. at 7.5% ABV though, that yeast might not be so happy.

So it's probably not worth the trouble? I had herd they have a proprietary house strain? Is this not correct?

They use multiple yeast strains for all the different beer they produce, but I do know that they use Ringwood too. It's up to you whether or not you want to try to culture it, I'm just letting you know that there's a decent chance it will be Ringwood.

Yea and if that's the case I'm not going to try and baby a stressed culture back to viability. I thought they had a "doggie" yeast. That's what Sam C said during one of the episodes of brewmasters a while back.

It's hard to dig through the hype sometimes. Lots of breweries have "proprietary" yeast strains, but it's a commercially available yeast. It has to do with protecting their process, and not giving it all away. Some breweries have a mutated regular yeast strain, so that might also be what DFH uses, a mutated Ringwood.

He might also have been talking about what they use for 120, which is not going to be Ringwood, at least not exclusively. I didn't make it through that series, so I can't tell you what he was talking about when he said that.

Anyone else?

Ringwood would make sense for Dogfish since Sam apprenticed at Shipyard which is known for ringwood. Also, many of their clones suggest ringwood or Wlp005. And even if they do have a "Doggie Yeast" its likely that yeast started as ringwood. I am curious about this as well as I would like to harvest from both 75 and the bottle I have of Life and Limb which is supposed to be a blend of chico and dogfish yeastl

I have a bottle of squall as well that I was planning on harvesting from. Am I in the same boat with that bottle as well?

Latest posts

Back