2 lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
I currently have my first lager, a rauchbier, in primary.

1) if it is in the primary for 3 weeks should I still do a diacetyl rest?

2) I'm thinking of washing the yeast after transferring to secondary, should I add some of this yeast at bottling or will there be enough yeast in suspension to bottle-carb after layering for a few weeks?

I'm brewing my first lager tomorrow. From what i've read on this site and other places, the answer to question one is, it depends. Did you start fermenting at colder temps, or did you start higher and then bring the temp down after fermentation started. Also taste the sample towards the end of fermentation and see if you can taste any diacetyl. I'm not sure on your second question as I plan on kegging my batch.

Some yeast strains produce more diacetyl than others. In my experience, it's never a bad idea to do a diacetyl rest even it if may not be strictly needed. It can't hurt, might help is my philosphy.

If you need more yeast at bottling, you can add it. I don't save the yeast from primary, I just add 1/3 package of dry yeast to the priming solution.

Update: I checked last night and it looks like my lager is at FG or very close after about two weeks. Should I diacetyl rest and transfer to secondary to start lagering, or give it another week?

Update: I checked last night and it looks like my lager is at FG or very close after about two weeks. Should I diacetyl rest and transfer to secondary to start lagering, or give it another week?

Doing it now is a good idea, while the yeast is still active. After the diacetyl rest, it can be racked.

Back