Fermentation advice for Belgian Golden Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarateJesus

Reaction score
Hey all - first time poster, long time lurker.

I'm shipping off to Army Basic Training six weeks from today for 10 weeks with no beer. I'm planning to brew a partial-grain Belgian golden strong this week so it can be close to finished conditioning when I get back in mid-December. It is essentially a Duvel clone and the O.G. will be around 1.075. I plan to pitch Wyeast 1388 at around 64F and raise the temp up over 7-10 days to 82F.

After I do that, what do you think would be the best option for me? I can:

- Leave it in the primary on top of the yeast cake to condition for 4 months;

- Ferment in primary for up to 5 weeks, then transfer to a secondary and leave it there to condition while I'm gone, bottling when I get back;

- Ferment in primary for up to 5 weeks, bottle it and let it bottle condition while I'm gone.

Also, what temperature do you think I should use once the initial ramp-up is complete?

Any insight is most welcome. I couldn't begin to list how many times this forum has helped me with previous brews.

Cheers!
K

i would let it sit for 5 weeks then bottle and leave it till you get back. as far as temp after fermentation is over just leave it at room temp. just be ready for it to try to suck the airlock water back in.

Back