Using a Stout faucet as a normall faucet. Need some help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have 3 shanks mounted on the wall in my basement. Two are used for my regular brews and 1 is for Stout. I had to remove the stout keg and dispose of it's contents (don't ask why!), so I now have a faucet available. I removed the restrictor plate from the faucet, but the beer foams greatly when I try to pour a pint using the extra keg I had in the refrigerator. I switched over to straight CO2 instead of the beer/gas mixure that was used for the stout. I have set my pressure down to 8psi in a 39 degree refrigerator.

When I removed the restrictor plate, I replaced the plastic piece in the nipple the screws onto the faucet. Could this be my problem? I tried it with and without the plastic piece, and had the same results.

The line length and inside diameter are the same as the other two kegs I have tapped, so I do not think it could be the lines.

Should I just give up and use a regular faucet and put the stout faucet away until I make another batch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Salute! :mug:

I got mine to work perfectly. I do think the extra resistance from the extra travel does cause more CO2 to come out of solution but, I was able to get mine dialed in.

Supose I just need to tweak it until it is right.

Is this the proper assembly process for the restrictor plate when I return the stout faucet to normal operation.

Drop plastic piece into inverted nipple, place restrictor on top of plastic piece, put o-ring into nipple, then screw the assembly into the faucet?

I won't be using it for awhile as a stout faucet, so I need to put the pieces in a safe and memorable place.

Salute! :mug:

I think you should just use the nitrogen on a non-stout beer and experiment.

Yeah, Iron Hill Brewery serves some styles on nitro and co2. When my kegerator is done I plan on splitting some batches and doing the same. It can add a new dimension to a style that you never thought to try.

Latest posts

Back