Sutable Primary Fermentation Vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some input, in my attempts to make a one bed room apartment in to a brewery. hopefully in August I will be moving in to a house with a Garage but for now I have to keep things on the small scale.

first: was to cut the old Keg-or-ator from a full size in my garage to a mini in the apartment. P1010081.jpg

Now I am wanting to try Lagering and have a mini fridge and a temperature regulator to make a Lager-ator. The problem is that the fridge will not fit my primary fermentation vessel, but I can get a 5gal corny in it for the secondary, so the beer will only be in the primary for a week or so.

I found a couple options that can fit in the mini.
a) 5 GAL SQUARE WHITE JUG WITH 70 MM SCREW CAP
Rectangular Jug (14 3/4" x 9 3/4")
baytec_1927_13938156

* 100% high density, high molecular weight polyethylene * UN-Rated for hazardous products * Versatile self-supporting containers * Easy-grip 180° swing handle and molded-in bottom grip for easy pouring * Smooth, seamless interior * In-line spout for complete draining * Top and bottom designed for superior stackability * Hot fill up to 160° F * FDA and USDA approved

OR
b) Igloo Cargo® 6 Gallon Water Container
Item No: CARGO 6G

p5423b.jpg

Description:
Ideal for safely transporting and storing water. Rugged, heavy-wall construction for durability. Spout makes pouring easy, stores inside container when not in use. Molded-in top handle for easy carrying and pouring. Molded-in side handle makes pouring even easier. Pull-up vent for smooth pouring. FDA-approved blue.

Features:

* UV Inhibitors

Specifications
Size: 13.94"L x 7.25"W x 21.69"H
Capacity: 6 Gal. (22.7L)

Any advice for using one these for a Primary Fermentation Vessel?

That Igloo container looks like it would be a nightmare to clean. I suspect the handles are hollow. Major crud traps.

"Smooth, seamless interior" sounds much better.

They are between $15 and $20 Plus shipping. I might try to order a few if it cuts down on the shipping cost.

I set Up my lagering fridge last night and it is holding it's temp at 45ºF so thats good. I will probably order the Bay tech jugs tonight, but wont get to brew till after the new year, But Ill post the catastrophe as it unfolds.

Back