Hookup C02 and Serving Lines at Same Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to kegging. When you hookup your C02 line to your corny keg to force carbonate, is it necessary to also hookup your serving line at the same time? The reason I ask is that I've had a keg of Mai Bock lagering in a corny keg for about 7 weeks now without any issues. Yesterday I hooked up my C02 line to my keg to force carb for the next week, but didn't hookup my serving line. This morning I found beer seeping out of the top of my serving post and a pool of beer on the bottom of my fridge.

Do you have to have your serving line hooked up? Or do I have a seal issue in the post?

If your posts are airtight, as they should be, you don't need to hook up the serving lines. I typically don't hook up my beer lines until the kegs are carbed.

It's a seal issue. Sometimes I can get them to seal by just pushing them in and releasing them, allowing them to reseat...be sure to purge first unless you want beer all over the place.

That worked...purged C02 and then pushing and releasing pin. THANKS ALL!

It's a seal issue. Sometimes I can get them to seal by just pushing them in and releasing them, allowing them to reseat...be sure to purge first unless you want beer all over the place.

Don't overlook the "purge first" step. I... erm.. overlooked that the other day and accidentally washed my eyes, shirt, ceiling, and surrounding area in a Saison shower burst. :D

Don't overlook the "purge first" step. I... erm.. overlooked that the other day and accidentally washed my eyes, shirt, ceiling, and surrounding area in a Saison shower burst. :D

To brewers, that is one fine smelling cologne, however.....I bet you smelled GREAT!

Been there, done that ...big spray all over the back of the basement, my face, shirt....i haven't laughed that hard in years..

Been there, done that ...big spray all over the back of the basement, my face, shirt....i haven't laughed that hard in years..

And I was telling myself that I could "pop" it fast enough that only a drop would seep past the poppet valve :drunk:

Back