Fruiting Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mato23

Reaction score
I am brewing a blueberry beer now and am wondering about adding fruit to the secondary. I had blueberries in a strainer bag and mixed blueberry purree in the primary but when I went to rack yesterday I didnt notice much blueberry flavor. The guy at my LHBS told me to put the stuff in the primary, but now im reading a lot of stuff saying to put it in the secondary. My question being, since I racked yesterday, should I open it up and throw some blueberries in? I have extract I can use but wanted to try and do it all natural. Would adding them help much, and would that force me to leave in for a longer time to seperate out? Rather not have a tertiary fermentation. Any thoughts?

i would just leave it. your beer is still green as all heck. cant possibly make a reliable judgement on taste.

just a thought...I make a pineapple pale & raspberry cream ale and have tried every stage possible. Primary usually give me too much of a veggie/gritty flavor from pulp...etc...First let the beer mellow for like a week after primary if possible. Best so far is pureed and pasteurized then put into secondary before siphoning on top. (you can add it after though) Let it sit for 3-5 days and taste. This normally gives a great aroma and slight aftertaste without over powering the beer.....(for the pineapple one i normally use 1 whole pureed pineapple) Hope this helps.

Back