Beers aren't aging well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I keg my beer and feel they aren't as good at the end as they are when I start drinking them. I think I notice the biggest drop in quality 1 month after I start drinking. What would be the cause? No off flavors just less flavor in general. Anyone else have this issue.

I would say in the 40's though I need to use a thermometer for an exact reading. I usually keep at around 8psi after carbing. Also I notice they seem to go flat toward the end of the keg as well.

If your serving pressure is lower than your carbonation pressure, the beer will lose carbonation. It's a dynamic, two-way process and the CO2 comes out of solution at the lower pressure.

You need a balanced system so that your serving pressure = your carbing pressure. Also flavors do mellow over time. How long from brew day till you start drinking?

Usually 5 weeks from pitch. My latest was a pale ale an unbelievable at around 6 weeks. I'm confused On the co2 thing. I usualk set at appropriate psi (to style) and leave for a week then turn down to serving pressure. After I drink do I need to dial the pressure back up?

What types of beers are you making? IPA's, APA's, Hefe's are better young IMHO. Those I tend to bend my rule with, I make sure they are done fermenting (dryhopping excluded) and rack them to a keg after 2 weeks, force carb and serve. Everything else sits in primary for at least 3 weeks, and in the keg for as long as I can stand it after that...

I usualk set at appropriate psi (to style) and leave for a week then turn down to serving pressure.

Ideally, serving pressure should equal carbing pressure
Otherwise you lose carbed psi due to the pressure balance in the keg - so 10psi carbed beer on a 6psi serving line will eventually become 6psi carbed beer by the end of the keg.

Its a constant battle if you use different volumes per style, because your beer line length is likely only one size...

Usually 5 weeks from pitch. My latest was a pale ale an unbelievable at around 6 weeks. I'm confused On the co2 thing. I usualk set at appropriate psi (to style) and leave for a week then turn down to serving pressure. After I drink do I need to dial the pressure back up?

You need to serve at the pressure you carb with in that method, if you use the psi vs temp charts.

If you reduce the pressure, you are reducing the level of carbonation in your beer also.

1) I brew hefe's and apa's so far so that is probably normal then for them to go down hill with age right?

2) how do I prevent Massive foaming if I serve at carbing psi? For example my beer on tap an apa should carb at 40f at about 12-15.

Ok I'm on picnic taps now so I'll adjust. Also, ya my APA wasn't dry hopped, but the initial bitterness I feel has mellowed too much.

I've found that hop-forward beers don't improve as I drink them out of the keg. (I brew exclusively with hop pellets.) Malty beers improve with age, IMHO.

My favorite pale ale is now Lake Walk Pale Ale. The first half of the keg tasted great, but as the hop flavor dissipated the toasted grain, nutty/sweet flavors began to emerge. At one point, there was a perfect balance between the two.

Back