Wee Heavy using Edinburgh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
I brewed a wee heavy about 10 days ago and used White Labs Edinburgh which I haven't used before. I started out at about 1.100 OG and I got crazy fermentation for about 3-4 days and now the yeast has settled down into a sort of very slowly moving blob-like creature that lives just below a surface of about a 1/4 inch of clear brown goodness, which has some largish bubbles popping on the surface.

It is clearly not even close to being done in the primary, but I am curious how long is normal for a beer of this magnitude.

Agreed.

I brewed an Old Ale with OG @ 1.080 early this summer using WL Edinburgh Ale yeast. It was a wicked ferment the first few days, pushing foam out my blow off tube for a full week. It slowed down then, but it didn't stop until day 18. I waited an extra 3 days and kegged it. FG: 1.011

BTW, I did use a 1200ml starter with 2 vials of yeast, and 60 seconds of pure 02 into the wort with a difussing stone. For those big beers you want lots of live healthy active yeasts, and a well oxygenated wort. Otherwise, the beer may wear out your yeast before they finish the job.

If unsure, take a gravity reading and see if you are close to your target..

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Back