What did I have and how do I make it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmannering

Reaction score
Many years ago, I went to the UK on a business trip. One day, the guys I was working with took me to lunch at a pub. I'm not very beer savy so I left it to my hosts to order for me. They asked me for some guidance re what I might like and I told them that I was not into the whole bitterness thing, and that seemed sufficient. They brought me some sort of beer/ale type beverage that was, as best as I can remember, completely lacking in bitterness. I remember that it was dry, crisp, and light colored. I don't remember anything about the finish. I really liked it, and I've been looking for it ever since. If it helps, the pub was in or near Warwick, and the year was about 1986.

So, three questions:
1. What did I have?
2. Where can I buy it?
3. How would I make it?

Many thanks,

Jim

Wow, that's vague. Maybe a Mild or a Bitter but I doubt anyone could tell you who made it. Check out beeradvocate.com and go through styles 101, might help you figure out at least what style it was and then they list some of the top beers for that style...

Most likely a Mild, but Ordinary Bitters aren't very bitter. What about the hop profile, remember anything about that? You might try Orfy's Mild

Light colored....? Maybe a Boddingtons? Was it creamy like Guinness or carbonated like other beers?
Boddington's Pub Ale is a light colored Creamy Ale. Tall Yellow Can, at least here in the states. I'd assume the same packaging over seas.
The head will cascade like a Guinness Pour

boddingtons-pub-ale.jpg

The beeradvocate.com site is a big help. I was under the impression that I was looking for a needle in a haystack, but apparently there are whole categories that might fit my description. It was definitely carbonated, not creamy and the hop profile was almost non-existent.

I'll have to make a list from the beer advocate site and see what is actually in the stores. Perhaps the mystery will be solved.

thanks again,

Jim

Back