Mini Mash Miracle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladefist

Reaction score
I did my first mini mash a month or two ago, and the process was an absolute disaster. Typically I brew on a propane burner outside, but I did the mashing in my stainless steel pot inside on an electric stove.

It's a long, long, embarrassing, story, but basically I boiled my grains during my mash. (accidentally). Then when doing the sparge, I spilled crap everywhere and basically said, fine, forget the sparge.

At this point was In a horrible mood, did half my boil time, forgot to add 1 of my hop addditions. During the water top off period, put way too much water in. It was a horrible day. For some reason I kept making stupid mistakes one after another.

I decided to keg this beer, because I figured it would be horrible and didn't want to waste time bottling a beer I would have to pour out.

Last night had my first pint, and it was a very smooth, delicious, irish stout beer. I was instantly addicted to it. ZERO tannins. Just a great beer.

How could this have happened?

you made beer, thats how!!! even though we're scientists in our art, you could just about throw anything at a batch, and still have beer.

Back