F'd... Wrong yeast and brewing tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrods22

Reaction score
My Brewing buddy, and good friend (aka the Knob) ordered me the wrong Yeast. I want to brew tomorrow with everyone else but don't want to waste 5 gallons of beer! I was planning on brewing NB’s #8 brew w/specialties (A Belgian strong dark ale). However, when I started to prepare the yeast for tomorrow I noticed I had a 2526 Kolsh instead of the 1762 Belgian that should have come with the order. So I did some research and saw that the “1762 Belgian” is made for high gravity Belgian beers the 2526 is not. (yes, I know I should have double checked before tonight…)
So here is my questions… what should I Do??? (other than beat my buddy)
1) Brew and use a yeast that was not meant for the recipe?

2) Brew and let the beer sit there for a few days before the correct yeast arrives?
(What would that do to the fermentation process?)

3) Not brew this beer until the correct yeast arrives (and my wife lets me brew again…about a month)?

Thanks...(in advance)

Oh yeah... I wanted to attach the recipe.
Link:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/skin/frontend/default/nbrewer_theme/images/media/beerkitpdf/TheNumber8.pdf[/URL]

Dude, that's not a mistake... that's improvising! Brew it, see what happens. You won't get something that's undrinkable. You'll just get something that's not to "style" and to me that means nothing. Who knows, you might like it more than with a Belgian yeast,...

I say give r and see what happens
No homebrew beer is a waste
just get the kit again and do it properly then compare

I say brew a Kolsch instead. A belgian won't be the same without the yeast as that's what makes the beer.

If you wanted to do a Kolsch just use the 6 lbs Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract and 1oz of Tradition @ 60 minutes.
See if your friends have some Munich malt (1 lb.) that you can use for a specialy malt in place of the Caramunich.
Caramunich is like Caramel/Crystal here in the states and will impart a caramel flavor that you don't find in Kolsch styles.
If no Munich malt can be found use 1 lb of the Pilsen DME to boost the gravity.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use the Caramunich, 2lbs Brown Belgian Candi Sugar, 15 oz. Corn Sugar, and the Hersbrucker Hops.

Ferment in the low 60's and lager the beer for about a month. I think you will be much happier with this beer than making a "Belgian" with a Kolsch yeast. You just won't get the phenolics like you would from the Belgian style yeast!

What would happen if I brewed today but did't pitch the yeast for a couple days (however long it takes NB to get the right yeast up here)

I wouldn't recommend it. If a wild yeast or bacteria got in there the batch would be ruined. The chances may be slim, but why take the chance in the first place? Why not just brew the kolsch?

I say brew a Kolsch instead. A belgian won't be the same without the yeast as that's what makes the beer.

I think this is good advise. Or wait. While brewing this w/Kolsch yeast will give you beer, it is probably not they beer you want or you would have been looking for something like that, right? At least for me, I do not have time to brew things that I am not interested in.

Schweaty,
To answer your question...
The kolsch isn't a batch, just the name of the wrong yeast.

It may actually make an excellent batch, who knows? Yeast is yeast. It will ferment any available sugar without disdain. All of our current beer styles were probably the result of just such a mistake (opportunity?). Steam beer was made because they had lager yeast but no way to refrigerate it to cool the wort and make true lager. It is now considered to be the quintessential American contribution to world brewing.

Give the yeast a chance, man!!:ban:

Thanks for the follow up... I didn't brew that batch. I will when the correct yeast arrives. I ended up brewing a 10 gallon batch of the bourbon barrel porter and a dry Irish stout. I figured 15 gallons of brew would keep me happy!

Back