Wanted, SMaSH ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelBrew

Reaction score
So, first brew of the year is going to be a SMaSH. Gladly accepting input on what combination I should go for. I'm becoming a bit of a hops lover, so it can go the IPA side or clean APA. Mostly wondering what folks suggest for doing the first one.

A REALLY awesome SMaSH is Marris Otter + EKG, going for either an ordinary Bitter or an ESB, mighty tasty, just remember to mash on the high side so it won't end up too dry.

I did this one from deathberwer. It was a great beer
SMaSH APA:
10 lbs Vienna Malt
1 oz 8.0%AA Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
1 oz 8.0%AA Northern Brewer @ 20 minutes
1 oz 8.0%AA Northern Brewer @ 5 minutes
Nottingham yeast

Mash at 152-154

I've got a wacky SMaSH experiment going on. I thought about the half dozen 1/2 gal growlers I had in the cabinet and decided to use them to refine my hop palate. Did up a big ole batch of 1.050 with Maris Otter and then I did one hour boils, a gallon at a time, with 30 minute and 10 minute additions of Cascade, Amarillo, Fuggles, Perle, Sterling, and Northern Brewer. 30 minute additions were adjusted to make roughly 45 IBU each. S-05 yeast. I fully expected the growlers to puke everywhere so I had them all in a big pan, but they all behaved and are flocculating now.

Should be a fun series of taste tests in another month or so...

What is your favorite hop? I would say if your fave hop is american, do a simple 2-row and amer hop....if it's a german hop, then do pilsner and hop, if it's English, then use Maris Otter as your base...

If it's pride of ringwood, I'd have to kick you aussie hop loving ass and tell you to buy a cooper's kit instead...I wouldn't know what a base malt would go good with POR...

Then of course you'd use an ale yeast (unless you can lager) that would eflect the same region as the hops and malt...

I'm brewing a Vienna/Tett tomorrow, though I can't yet recommend the combination because I haven't tasted it. Sounds really good though.:D

My first Smash which I will be brewing Sunday will be a Marris Otter with Crystal hops and American lager yeast.

If it's pride of ringwood, I'd have to kick you aussie hop loving ass and tell you to buy a cooper's kit instead...I wouldn't know what a base malt would go good with POR...

Back off man! I have a Cooper's Primary and I ain't afraid to use it!:rockin:

Look again, I'm in Colorado. :D

I ended up using a variation of DeathBrewers SMaSH. 11#'s Vienna and 2oz Columbus leaf hops at 12.75%. That's what LHBS had on hand and I want to brew tomorrow.

Richbrewer has a great Smash recipe in his recipe pull down- he sent me a sample and I fell in love! (Er, with the beer I mean!) It's an amarillo and maris otter smash, and I think he toasted a couple of pounds of the MO. It's a great combo, and I highly recommend it.

Richbrewer has a great Smash recipe in his recipe pull down- he sent me a sample and I fell in love! (Er, with the beer I mean!) It's an amarillo and maris otter smash, and I think he toasted a couple of pounds of the MO. It's a great combo, and I highly recommend it.

Gee...How come when I wanted to toast some of my MO for my MO/Argentinian Cascade smash, I was told that the first rule of SMaSH Club was Don't toast your malt..use them as is with the hops for at least the first incarnation...

:)

Gee...How come when I wanted to toast some of my MO for my MO/Argentinian Cascade smash, I was told that the first rule of SMaSH Club was Don't toast your malt..use them as is with the hops for at least the first incarnation...

Yeah, Yoop, what gives? Lay off Revvy or I may have to love him more than you.:D

Yeah, Yoop, what gives? Lay off Revvy or I may have to love him more than you.:D

Well, I must have been absent the day the rules were given, then! To me, toasting MO still makes it MO, just toastier. So, it's still a SM and SH beer. It's not like toasting it turns it into black patent!

Shecky, I must admit, he is a lovable guy. Love him more if you must. :D

Bill- Single Malt and Single Hop. That is, one variety of malt and one variety of hops. It really can make a wonderful beer!

We can still post whore away...:D

Super Horny And SLippery Handed....(not that I know anything about that.):D

And it is a GREAT way to learn about what and how ingredients work with each other, rather than just mixing crap up willy nilly.

:off:

Or, rather, actually back on topic! Thanks for the diversion there folks, it was fun!:fro:

Busy pre B-day for me. Apfelwein and SMaSH in the same day. Wooohoo!!

Did the Vienna with Columbus leaf hops. Sure smelled good going into the fermenter.

Now I just have to wait. Good thing I finally got a full pipeline!

Did Deathbrewer's Vienna / Northern Brewer and an M.O. / Centennial last weekend... Both are churning away blissfully... I love having a full fermentation chiller...

Back