fermentation stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
So I am sure that one of these threads shows up here once a week but here we go anyway. So a have a really big beer OG 1.092 and she had been fermenting well until yesterday evening. Last night I was looking at my beer and everything inside was going nicely, lots of bits swirling all around (it had been swirling inside for about 5 days). I thought that I would take a SG reading and the resultant reading was good at 1.030 even. After I took the reading though the swirling seemed to stop and another reading today read 1.030 even. Also, there is now the conspicuous absence of bubbling in the fermentation lock. Temp was at 72 (due to that whole exothermic thing) now it is 68 like the other next to it which has been in secondary for two weeks. Any solutions. Also I double pitched this thing because I was worried that I wouldn't make it to the target FG from 1.092.
crap, thanks

Can I ask how many times have you brewed?

What yeast did you use, did you aerate, did you use a starter?

How long between your reading and the last visible sign of fermantation?

Last question....why not give it a week and take another reading (any rush)?

this is maybe batch 8, just starting to feel like I have a small idea of what I am trying to do.
The yeast was WL Irish ale with no starter, shook the thing up for ten min.
This baby was fermenting pretty well just before the reading, while I was doing the reading I took off the blowout tube and put the lock on. That was when I noticed that visible fermentation was nill.

thanks again

Well base on basic research that yeast is done on a OG of 1092 when it gets to 1028.

I've never used trhe stuff but I know how to google. It's also good practice to not go of the first gravity reading if you are not sure. Time is a basic element of brewing.

Back