RIS becomes GIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Continuing w/family roots to Germany I looked up Russian Imperial Stout in the book Designing Better Beers and whipped up this recipe w/the help of BeerSmith software and came up with this German Imperial Stout.

This is a 1.9 gallon batch

5lbs 8 oz Pilsner 86.6%
6.4 oz Roasted Barley 6.3%
4,8 oz Chocolate Malt 4.7%
2.4 oz Carafa II 2.4%
0.6 oz Magnum at 60 min
0.45 oz Hallertaure at 15 min
1.00 oz Malto-Dextrine at 5 min
0.35 oz Hallertaure at 5 min
1 pkg SafAle German K-97 yeast

Est OG=1.094 PB-OG=1.068 SG=1.091
Est FG=1.022 FG=
Est ABV=9.5% ABV=

Made addjustments to BeerSmith to show true water amounts and low and behold my numbers should have been
Est OG-1.089 and I measured it at 1.091
Makes me feel better about my mash.
Est OG=89 Measured SG=91
Est FG=21 Measured FG=
Est ABV=9.0 Measured ABV=

Plan is to mash at 152*F for 45 in 3 gallons of water in my Colman cooler then transfer to boil kettle for a 60 min boil.
Added strike water at 163* and most of the mash the temp was around 151* ending at 149.
PreBoil Vol=2.7g PostBoil Vol=2.1 (cold)
Added only 2 gallons to fermenter (all I could squeeze in)
Added 1/2 pk K-97 yeast after 1 1/2 hrs at about 78*.
Placed in fermenting freezer at about 60* w/blow off tube.
Now we wait 4 weeks.

C-Rider said:
Continuing w/family roots to Germany I looked up Russian Imperial Stout in the book Designing Better Beers and whipped up this recipe w/the help of BeerSmith software and came up with this German Imperial Stout. This is a 1.9 gallon batch 5lbs 8 oz Pilsner 86.6% 6.4 oz Roasted Barley 6.3% 4,8 oz Chocolate Malt 4.7% 2.4 oz Carafa II 2.4% 0.6 oz Magnum at 60 min 0.45 oz Hallertaure at 15 min 1.00 oz Malto-Dextrine at 5 min 0.35 oz Hallertaure at 5 min 1 pkg SafAle German K-97 yeast Est OG=1.094 PB-OG=1.068 SG=1.091 Est FG=1.022 FG= Est ABV=9.5% ABV= Plan is to mash at 152*F for 45 in 3 gallons of water in my Colman cooler then transfer to boil kettle for a 60 min boil. Added strike water at 163* and most of the mash the temp was around 151* ending at 149. PreBoil Vol=2.7g PostBoil Vol=2.1 (cold) Added only 2 gallons to fermenter (all I could squeeze in) Added 1/2 pk K-97 yeast after 1 1/2 hrs at about 78*. Placed in fermenting freezer at about 60* w/blow off tube. Now we wait 4 weeks.

Let me know how it turns out. Just came from a 3 week trip to Germany and Austria. I tried some really great pilsners and up until now, I hadn't really ever thought of making one. I'm going to try out a few Dunkels, Doppel Bocks, Marzens and Helles beers.

The one thing I thought I read about Pilsner Malt was either doing a really aggressive boil or bumping it to 90 minutes to make sure you drive out the DMS.

Let me know how it turns out. Just came from a 3 week trip to Germany and Austria. I tried some really great pilsners and up until now, I hadn't really ever thought of making one. I'm going to try out a few Dunkels, Doppel Bocks, Marzens and Helles beers.

The one thing I thought I read about Pilsner Malt was either doing a really aggressive boil or bumping it to 90 minutes to make sure you drive out the DMS.

I like to take English and American styles and brew them w/German ingredients. Will post results in say 7 or 9 weeks. Will open one early then let the rest age for a while.

Going by the BJCP guidelines, you may be a teensy bit high for a baltic porter by OG, but aside from that, you have German base malts and German hops in a high-gravity dark beer with lots of roast, using a German yeast. You're not using a lager yeast, but fermenting cool.

I didn't do the IBU calculation on your hops, so I can't say about that. But overall, I think if you showed that recipe to most people, they'd tell you it sounds like you're making a Baltic Porter.

But overall, I think if you showed that recipe to most people, they'd tell you it sounds like you're making a Baltic Porter.

Except that it uses a significant amount of roasted barley, which is the signature ingredient in...

Stouts.

This guy would disagree with you: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/difference-between-stout-and-porter.html

The difference between porter and stout is super hazy. I guess if you want to call it a GIS instead of a Baltic Porter, you can feel free. I've made a schwarzbier that didn't finish out low enough, that I've considered entering into competition as a sweet stout. And I've got a robust porter that came out a little too dry that's more like an American Stout.

Well.......It's still in the fermenter so I don't know how "roasty" it's gonna be. My baltic porter uses no roasted barley and has bout 7% caramel malts Time will tell what it tastes like. And following that link above it's a hazy line between the two going on roasted barley vs black malts.

Seven weeks fermenting at about 60*F, one week cold crashing at about 38*F. Beginning to bottle my German Imperial Stout. Finished at 21 w/a SG of 91. APV approx 9.1% Slight bitter/sweet taste. Now to wait a few months for it to finish in the bottles. How long should I let them sit at 70*F? I only have 19 bottles so gotta do it right.

Back