Conditioning Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can only fit two cornies in my kegerator hooked up to the CO2 tank. The others are in the basement conditioning. I bled off the O2 and pressurized to 30 lbs before putting them down there. Will this over carbonate the beer or will they be OK because they are not attached to the CO2 tank?

they'll be fine, but not really carb'd. you need cold (40F~ish) kegs and more than a single shot of 30psi to rapidly force carb.

when ready, chill em to serving temp, then re-apply the gas. You will have a little head start on carbing, but it'll still taste flat on the tongue til you get enough in there.

Right. 30psi in that little headspace on top of warm beer is really just a way to "set" the lid and gasket to keep it from leaking. You might get a .2 volume carb (undetectable) from it at most and you'll have a long way to go once you chill it down.

Thanks for the replies. These are a couple of stouts that I don’t plan on tapping until the holidays. Just wanted to make sure they’d be all right.

Bobby, you mentioned that the 30lbs was “really just a way to set the lid and gasket to keep it from leaking.” I found my CO2 tank empty today. Over the weekend I add a couple of regulators (picked up on eBay) to my system. They were originally used for soda and had check valves. I backed the pressure down (6-8 lbs) on my brown ale. My theory is that the pressure was not enough to activate the check valve, so the pressure in the keg went to zero and allowed the seal to break. Does this sound possible? When I tried to pressurize the keg again the seal leaked and I had to hit it with 30 lbs before it sealed.

I know that over the weekend I hooked up my 5 regulator setup, and my CO2 tank was empty - had to fill it this morning.

To check if you have any leaks in the gas, use some soapy water (Dawn Liquid) and a spray bottle (or a brush if you don't have a spray bottle) and spray/brush all the places that are not a sealed unit.

Ie everywhere that you have attached something to. If it bubbles - then you need to tighten it up, or use more Teflon tape on the threads.

Hope that helps - I gotta do that tomorrow night.

Kilroy

Back