Sanatizing Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopd3ville

Reaction score
I am just about at my FG, I am going to check it today. If this is the case I would really like to bottle my beer. I have read that people put there bottles in the dish washer. Does this sanitize the bottles? I only ask because I do not have something large enough to hold all the bottles to sanatize them all at once.

Before I bought my bottle tree, I just cleaned and sanitized my kitchen sink and used that. You only have to wet and dunk the (cleaned) bottles because some of the contact time is while it's drying. Then, put them on a sanitized surface to wait until you're ready to use them. A no-rinse sanitizer is really a time saver in this.

I put bleach in my detergent resevoir and run on the santi-cycle. I can place 53 bottles on bottom rack. Seems to work fine.

I agree with cnbudz and yooper old lady (what happened to chick?) regarding the bottle tree + vinator. My first bottling I filled all my bottles with sanitizer using a funnel and let them sit a couple of minutes. The bottle tree + vinator makes sanitizing so much easier. I would say it is my best purchase when price and convienence is considered.

dinks said:
whats a good no-rinse sanitizer?

I've used one-step and idophor. Both are fine, but one-step is more expensive. When my huge supply of one-step is gone (I've had it for over a year and I have tons left), I'm going to use star-san. Everyone who uses it swears it's awesome and relatively inexpensive. Star-san foams/bubbles so you can see that the surface was covered.

I like to use the dishwasher (with clean bottles and no detergent like mentioned above), but when it is not available I use a big cooler and Idophor. My cooler is a lot cleaner than the sink and it holds all my stuff.

I use star-san for almost everything now. I'll put 2 gallons of water in a spare bucket, add star-san to proper concentration.
then put in 8 bottles at a time. star-san only takes 30 seconds, and the bottles should already have been cleaned in advance.
then they go on the bottle tree to drain and stay sanitary until I start to fill them.

I then use the solution to sanitize all my bottling equipment, including the bottling bucket and spigot.

that star-san will keep for several weeks. it also works great in a spray bottle for odd sized equipment like thiefs and auto-siphons...and to keep your hands sanitized when getting in close for hydrometer samples.

Keeping the bottles away from thick residue is always important cause that makes it trickier to clean later on and the disk washer is prime final step.
I have it in greater detail here if anyone wants to check it out
So far its worked great for more and keeps my beer fresh and with a great head!

Back