fruited secondary lag time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
I racked a sour quad onto some raspberries about 3 weeks ago...any thoughts on lag time before the brett gets going when doing this? I transferred a good bit of the dregs from the primary so figure I should see something in the not too distant future.

With my sour blueberry stout it took about two months for me to see any real activity, and even then it was mostly a few tiny bubbles. Depending on how long you primaried most of the sacch could be dead, and brett/lacto/pedio aren't fast eaters.

Thanks...I don't count on any sacc after 8 months. The ABV is high as this is a rescue attempt on a quad so I'm sure the lacto and pedio are out of the question too...just waiting on the brett to start up and having no experience with fruiting a sour I have no idea of how long to expect active fermentation to begin other than I know brett is a slow mover in such conditions.

My experience is that it takes several weeks. I think it is the sacc that wakes up and slowly reproduces to a decent sized colony, and that is what will do the majority of the fermentation of the fruit sugars.

I got really worried the first couple of times, but after a few weeks (I don't know what the real time was), it just took off.

My experience is that it takes several weeks. I think it is the sacc that wakes up and slowly reproduces to a decent sized colony, and that is what will do the majority of the fermentation of the fruit sugars.

I got really worried the first couple of times, but after a few weeks (I don't know what the real time was), it just took off.

Good to know...I'm still waiting for something to happen. Oh well, I have plenty of other carboys to play with in the meantime.

The wait is painful. I racked several gallons on some fruit last weekend and nothing is going on yet ......... I know everything is OK, but really want to see some activity.

Back