Question about lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grundig5

Reaction score
Hoping to get your assistance on my first sour. I had been saving some dregs up until about March 2011 and then dumped about a gallon of excess saison on them. Dregs were from supplication, 2 or 3 JP's, a few other randoms I had enjoyed. If I remember correctly, the gallon did take two or more days to start fermenting but i didnt take any notes. After 6 months or so I bottled the gallon with a FG of 1.001. Since then the slurry from the gallon jug has been sitting in a closet with a liter of starter to chew on and just a foam stopper; I admittedly forgot about it and had meant to store it properly. Saturday Nov 5 I had an extra 3 gallons of a rye saison wort and remembered the little sour starter and decided to just dump it in after decanting off the "beer" (vinegar at this point) it had fermented over the past 2 months. I took a gravity sample this morning and it hasnt changed from the OG, so its been 4 days. Should I wait it out and hope it starts, or try to pick something up from the HBS tonight to pitch?

Thanks for your assistance.

Back