Beer tastes like plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
I just finished dry-hopping a Two-Hearted Ale clone, and it tastes like plastic. I had to leave this in the primary about three weeks longer than needed, beacuse I was out of town and SWMBO was just not gonna rack it for me. I didn’t see or smell any type of infection, but I do ferment in Better Bottles. Will time save my beer?

Here is what causes that off flavor / aroma
Generally they probably will not get better if it was caused by issues with chlorine residues in the water.

PHENOLIC

CHARACTERISTICS: A hospital-medicine chest flavor and aroma, best detected by its aroma components; caused by phenols. Some phenolic tastes are desired depending on the style. Other descriptions include Band-Aid-like, plasticlike, smoky, clovelike.

HIGH LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Yeast strain; chlorophenols in the water; improper rinse of chlorine sanitizers; oversparging; sparging above pH 6.0; sparging above 170 degrees; wild yeast contamination.

LOW LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Charcoal filtering of tap water; good healthy yeast strain; proper sparging while monitoring temperature and pH, good rinse of sanitizers or use of non-chlorine sanitizers.

EXAMPLES: Wheat beers have a high amount of the phenol 4-vinyl guaiacol that gives the characteristic clove taste.

I'm having a similar issue with a Strawberry Wheat beer I did months ago. Has a strong plastic/rubber flavor on top of a lot more tartness than I was hoping for from the strawberries. It's been in bottles for a couple months now and it's still not really drinkable.

Still not sure what went wrong, but I guess some wild yeast from the strawberries is most likely? This was an extract brew so no sparging issues. I use bottled water and iodophor so I'm guessing no chlorine either but I guess you never know with bottled water?

did you get white bubbles on top of the wort? is there that plastic in the aroma also? i've had that before, i think its a form of infection

I had this too, though I chalked it up to using my carboy that previously held my sanitizer solution and not rinsing it out thoroughly enough (though I did rinse it about 10x).

Tried ice concentrating it in hopes that it would leave the nasty phenol flavour behind... Concentrating all flavours...

Back