Yeast affect head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I did a 10 gallon irish red that I split into 2 5 gallon batches. I then used US-5 for one and a washed Wyeast London Ale III. I tasted both batches and they seem comparable. The US-5 is clearer while the London Ale III is more cloudy. I understand this can be explained by the differences in flucuation (sp?). The real question is the batch with US-5 doesn't retain the head as well while the London Ale III maintain significant head. Is this due to using different yeasts? Or could it be that I used a keggle and siphoned the wort into my 2 5 gallon fermenters, thus resulting in a slight differences in material in wort between the two. Any ideas?

This is ironic b/c I did the same style and my first 10 gal batch. 5g was drained into a carboy while the other 5g went in the ale pail. I pitched both with US-04. There was a larger collection of turb in the Ale Pail. I would assume (time will tell) the one with more proteins etc from the turb would have a better head. I will let you know my results asap for comparison.

Back