krausen in my airlock--best practice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
so my fermentation apparently took off much more than i expected (thought I had plenty of room, and temps are a steady 68-70) and now i have krausen and other gunk in my airlock. Do I just leave it? Add some more vodka into it? Take it off, sanitize and add vodka again? thanks.

krausen.jpg

i just clean mine out every few days
unless i know its going to be unrulely then i use a blow off hose

Actually if you have an airlcok blowoff right now it's best to clean, resanitize and install a blowoff tube.

Here's what I do with a 3 piece airlock,

Airlockbo2.jpg

The tube is the one that came with my bottling wand, with a tiny slit in it. I also saw/break off the little chriss/cross at the bottom of the shank, which helps keep goop from getting stuck.

The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.

Actually if you have an airlcok blowoff right now it's best to clean, resanitize and install a blowoff tube.

Here's what I do with a 3 piece airlock,

Airlockbo2.jpg

The tube is the one that came with my bottling wand, with a tiny slit in it. I also saw/break off the little chriss/cross at the bottom of the shank, which helps keep goop from getting stuck.

The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.

thanks for the illustration. that should be easy enough to do. now I just have to wait to get home from work...

not using a blow-off is just a mistake. setup a blowoff and use it everytime no matter how small the beer is

not using a blow-off is just a mistake. setup a blowoff and use it everytime no matter how small the beer is

I don't really agree with that. Honestly I've only had one blowoff in the last 3 years of brewing. And I've brewed some big beers, pitched on top of yeast cakes, had a lot of fermentables, all the things you would thing would automatically require one, and they didn't happen.

I believe in having the fixin's handy in case, like a fire extinguisher, but it's a matter of choice in most cases to actually use them as a preventive measure.

I don't really agree with that. Honestly I've only had one blowoff in the last 3 years of brewing. And I've brewed some big beers, pitched on top of yeast cakes, had a lot of fermentables, all the things you would thing would automatically require one, and they didn't happen.

I believe in having the fixin's handy in case, like a fire extinguisher, but it's a matter of choice in most cases to actually use them as a preventive measure.

i respect you like crazy revvy and you are way more experienced than I will ever be...but a blow off is so easy to setup, so cheap, and just not worth the risk of not doing so. It is not even a thought to use an airlock. having beer spray everywhere becauase i wanted to watch it to see if i needed it just isnt worth it to me.

To each their own i guess??

Thats an unusual point rev. I always use an BO tube, and need it most of the time. I oxygenate though, and use yeast nutrient. notty is the usual yeast unless otherwise directed for the style. My ferms are wicked.

Thats an unusual point rev. I always use an BO tube, and need it most of the time. I oxygenate though, and use yeast nutrient. notty is the usual yeast unless otherwise directed for the style. My ferms are wicked.

I have seen the same things but i do not use notty often (well ... until recently :D) But my fermentation temps were far from regulated in the past and I know that increased temps result in heavier fermentations.

I almost always get blow off in the blow off bucket, but i use 5 gallon fermenters :(

i use 6.5 ferms and get wicked blow offs. Since i started using pure o2 and nutrient they rocket. I use notty in most brew cause my ferm temp is 68-70f. Makingreat beer here on possum knob. Japanese cats love it.

It may not be a mistake but after fermentations I thought would be mellow, only to find myself cleaning the airlock, it seems wise to use a blow off as SOP.

Back