DME or LME first in a late extract addition boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRob

Reaction score
I am doing a pale ale recipe that calls for 3.3 lbs. light LME and 3 lbs. amber DME added to the wort prior to boiling (after steeping the grains). I would prefer to do a late extract addition such as Palmer and HBT suggest for better results. Which extract should I add first after steeping the grains prior to bringing to a boil? When should I add the second extract addition?
I am thinking of adding the DME first and then adding the LME at 30 min., but I may wait till 15 min......

You got it right, DME first. The Late extract addition is for the LME where after an hour it may caramelize or burn on the bottom of your pot.

The last late extract addition i did was for a Rogue Brutal Bitter clone. The recipe called for me to add the DME last and at flame-out. It just finished carbing up and it tastes fantastic!!

neither will by itself ruin your beer, but i agree with mikeg that it's better to add the lme last. that's the extract that's more likely to caramelize and darken so it makes sense to add it later.

I did a DME late extract add and it was annoying. 15 minutes left me w/ chunks of unboiled DME all over the place. Maybe 30 minutes would have been enough, but that batch I got like 52% attenuation and I blame the chunks and the late DME add.

I have experimented with this quite a bit and found that DME up front and the LME with 10 to 15 minutes left works best. I get a much lighter color this way and also have a much easier time with the DME. When I have tried to add the DME with 15 minutes left, it was very clumpy and really stuck around the bag opening.

Good luck!

I did a DME late extract add and it was annoying. 15 minutes left me w/ chunks of unboiled DME all over the place. Maybe 30 minutes would have been enough, but that batch I got like 52% attenuation and I blame the chunks and the late DME add.

Use a standard kitchen whisk when mixing in DME to avoid the clumps. I was stirring that stuff with a spoon until someone let me in on this little secret.

Made this brew last night and it looks like I made the right call. I added the DME before the boil and the LME at 10 minutes to keep it free of my hop additions. What are your opinions on adding the LME at knockout instead and letting it sit for 10 minutes to pasturize such as Palmer recommends. Always planning the next brew and improving my techniques.

That's a great call on using the kitchen wisk for DME additions, I always spend way to much time and lose btus when adding the DME and stirring like crazy with a spoon.

Back