Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as you all are wanking about, I just sent an email to the POTUSA and his kitchen staff, requesting they give me their recipes and brewing details!!! I'm gonna brew a clone.

And if they don't respond in a timely manner, I'll file a FOIA request.

:drunk:

Awesome.

mmb said:
In other news, Louis Pasteur totally turns the brewing world on its head by proposing that fermentation is conducted by living yeasts cells and not by a chemical process.

Whoa! You just blew my mind! By the way, did you hear they brew beer at the white house? :)

Cool to see we're getting back to our founding fathers roots. Too bad my taxes are paying for beers I'll never have the chance to drink, or a facility I'll never be allowed to use.

In other news, Louis Pasteur totally turns the brewing world on its head by proposing that fermentation is conducted by living yeasts cells and not by a chemical process.

Blasphemy...!!!

Everyone knows it is "God is Great" that makes the beer.
Heretic.....

By the way...........Obama brews beer. :ban:

KeyWestBrewing said:
Cool to see we're getting back to our founding fathers roots. Too bad my taxes are paying for beers I'll never have the chance to drink, or a facility I'll never be allowed to use.

Somewhere in here someone said that Obama paid for the brewery. Dont know if its true or not.

dfc said:
If he makes his beer like he runs the country I would not try it.

Agreed, he probably went and didn't spend enough money on the ingredients to make a good beer.

If the man was brewing it himself on his days off or while on vacay....even though I dsipise the man, i'd say right on thats awesome!! But any one can have some one else brew and say...yeah I homebrew..

Props to the Chef! Not Obama

tom_gamer said:
Somewhere in here someone said that Obama paid for the brewery. Dont know if its true or not.
knuckleheadbrewing said:
If the man was brewing it himself on his days off or while on vacay....even though I dsipise the man, i'd say right on thats awesome!! But any one can have some one else brew and say...yeah I homebrew..

Props to the Chef! Not Obama

Regardless of who paid for it, I think it's pretty cool. I mean, love him or not, cut the POTUS some slack. He is the President, after all. Some presidents golf at extravagant clubs, others install a bowling alley. By contrast, I bet Obama's interest in/hobby of homebrewing is cheap by comparison... Especially if you consider the costs associated with the Secret Service whenever he travels or leaves the Oval Office.

Instead of having a huge entourage necessary for the man to have a simple jog (Clinton), or even just to go fishing, Obama can sit at home and enjoy a cold beer. It's probably one of the cheapest hobbies a President can have. Probably even cheaper than jogging. Seriously. Think about the logistics in setting up safe routes for the POTUS to just run around the block. When you add up the manpower and machinery required, I bet it's close to a million bucks. But the Secret Service doesn't have to do as much supervision of a brewing operation... Just source safe ingredients; the same thing they would have to do for the President's hamburger.

When it comes to Presidents' leisure time, I can't get worked up about them doing that they want. Despite a small tinge of jealousy, I always have to admit that if I were in their shoes, I would be doing similar things. The job is, no doubt, a mentally draining occupation. If they aren't blowing off steam (or krausen) somehow, they probably aren't as effective as we would want them to be. They are humans, not machines.

And if he doesn't brew it himself, well he probably has better things to do than spend a full day making a batch of AG beer. I am sure he had some say in the flavors. I am sure he is satisfied with his bespoke beer. I am sure George Washington didn't brew all his own beer at the White House either. It is still a homebrewery in the White House and it helps legitimize the hobby.

FWIW, I cannot ever remember getting worked up about any president's hobby. Frankly, it's not fair or reasonable to make a big deal over what a guy chooses to do in his leisure time, President or not.

I think it's pretty cool. And I'm not so petty and mean-spirited to whine about how much it cost.

FWIW, I cannot ever remember getting worked up about any president's hobby. Frankly, it's not fair or reasonable to make a big deal over what a guy chooses to do in his leisure time, President or not.

I'm not an american but live there for 13 years. I haven't been worked up about president hobbies either, just some vice president hobbies who where shooting people in the face.

Its a shame when politics is such a hot button, that someone from either side can't just enjoy the fact that the president of the united states supports their hobby.

At just about any time in our past, this wasn't the case. It is a shame.

This is true, it's now like having a football team.

Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot: It is still a homebrewery in the White House and it helps legitimize the hobby.

+1 to this!

cheezydemon3 said:
Its a shame when politics is such a hot button, that someone from either side can't just enjoy the fact that the president of the united states supports their hobby.

At just about any time in our past, this wasn't the case. It is a shame.

Not true.....

Me and Bill Clinton both enjoy getting hummers...!

Can't we all just get along? And homebrew and respect the president of the united states and vote for the green party...........

;)

Subsailor said:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot: It is still a homebrewery in the White House and it helps legitimize the hobby.

+1 to this!

I don't need the president or his kitchen staff to "legitimize" my hobby.

Whether the POTUS brews or not, he has gained exposure for home brewers.

Even if he doesn't do the work but let's his kitchen staff do it for him, at least he acknowledges homebrewing?

Him doing this reminds me of how I think about the guy?

But if he looses the next election. Will he be asking us to to help him with a brew day?

Or will he just forget about homebrewing altogether?

Stupid questions I have thought about.

We all have probably heard that the Obama White House brews its own Honey Ale. Upon hearing about this homebrew, I, like many of you, first thought "I want to brew that beer". As far as I can tell there has been no recipe released.

I have created a White House petition for the recipe to be released. Please sign. We only have one month to get the signatures. Spread the word. Let's get this rolling.

http://wh.gov/4y9b

It's gonna be difficult to source that White House honey to reproduce that when they do release the recipe...

I'm sure if you contributed $1200.00 to his campaign, sent him a note telling him about how much you love the idea that he brews beer, how much you would love to brew beer just like him, and how you lay in bed at night fantasizing about brewing beer with him while Michelle makes nutritional snacks - that he would send you a super secret copy of both of his homebrew recipes, a signed picture of him and Joe Biden drinking a couple beers on the White House patio, and all the emails that you can handle asking you to get your friends and family to contribute to his campaign - and best of all - his personal promise to buy you a Bud Light the next time he gets away from the White House of the tour bus and comes to your neck of the woods.

Yeah.....that should do it....

I'm sure as soon as Michelle finds out how many calories are in beer, she'll start shaming everyone who even sniffs a homebrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back