substitute for 1lb LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 7lbs of LME but I only have a 6lb jug of it. Any recommendation for use DME as a substitute? Its gold LME so I am assuming there would be an equivalent DME? How much would be lost just using 6lbs as opposed to 7?

Completely un-related side note but I figure instead of spamming with multiple posts, I'd put it here. I had midwest crush my specialty grains but there is a lot of fine powder at the bottom of the bag. My mesh bag is only so fine and it looks like a lot of this stuff will get into the wart when I steep them. Problem?
Thanks!

You could use light (pale, whatever is the lightest) DME as a substitute.

(Copied from another thread) 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

As for that fine powder, I would empty it into the bag and just steep it all. If it is fine enough to get through your bag, it will likely dissolve and you'll be fine.

Typically, 1 pound of LME will yield a gravity of 1.030 in gallon of water. So assuming that you are doing a 5 gallon batch, you will lose 1.006 off of your OG. This sounds right to me, but someone who is a little bit more awake may be able to do better math.

If you can I would recommend just using some light or extra light DME if you have it. Generally 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

As for the powder, or flour in your specialty grains, don't sweat it. It will not do any harm to your beer. Most of it will either fall out in the trub when you boil or during fermentation.

So looks like I need .8lbs of DME for 1lb of LME?
Would things get thrown that far off if I just went with 1lb of DME? Thats just adding more fermentables so...
Edit: Manners! Thanks for the input so far!

So looks like I need .8lbs of DME for 1lb of LME?
Would things get thrown that far off if I just went with 1lb of DME? Thats just adding more fermentables so...
Edit: Manners! Thanks for the input so far!

1 lb would be fine. You'll get a few extra points of gravity. No big deal.

I fill the grain bag with my crushed grain over the sink. The fine particles that fall through can be put through the disposal (or rinsed away), and then the bag can be tied and used.

Back