What do you guys store your empty beer bottles in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
I have a bunch of six packs laying around my garage that I need to stack up somehow. Was thinking about just finding some old crates but also thinking about something that can double as a holder while the bottles carb up in.

Anyone got some homemade deal they use or know of something sweet setup for this?

I keep them on a shelf in my garage with foil over the tops, in 6 pack holders so all I have to do is sanatize and fill.

I keep mine in a hyperbolic chamber with an AI brew monitor set to release just the right number of bottles for whatever I'm brewing at the time. It shoots them out like rockets and I catch them with my teeth!!!

Oh, wait... I've already responded to this thread.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-File-Storage-Crates-Black/product_253856?cmArea=SEARCH

They hold 29 bottles and stack. sometimes especially prior to start of school they have them on sale. I use black for empty bottles, white for bottles carbing, and grey for storage/aging, and have some green ones I use for those ready to drink. I use old case cardboard inserts to keep the bottles separated and the empties I store upside down

i made wood crates out of old hardwood pallets. they are pretty sweet in that they look aged and classic. easy and cheap to make too if you have some tools. i made 25 and 50 packs.

My wife just bought me a rubbermaid tub that I keep them in. She told me though that once it was filled I was done getting bottles.:(

I have found a reason to take unwanted wooden pallets. Why the hell didn't I think of it before!!! Bottle crates AND to build my first brew stand. HELL YEAH, I love this forum!!:mug:
and yes I have been drinking

My empties go into a laundry basket (new of course) for storage. I'm gonna look into building my own bottle crates too

When I buy 3 or more 6 packs my beer store give me a case to bring them home in. So I have a bunch of cardboard beer cases with 4 6 pack carriers in each.

Man didn't expect so much feedback.

Currently I have most of mine in little 6 pack holders but I wanted something bigger and stackable. Time for an upgrade!

make friends with a bar owner.. I have boxes and bottles running out my ears right now. ( friends with TWO bar owners!!_)

these are my boxes. I used a staple gun, table saw and mitre saw. i also sanded the edges. bottoms are made of 3/8 or 1/2 scrap plywoods, depending what i had lying around. I like the ones that have the thiner boards on 2 sides, makes a nice handle.
they hold 50 and 25 bottles respectively.

SAM_0237.jpg

Those looks sweet! I don't have any tools like that but I'm sure screws would work the same. What dimensions you got on those?

The boxes that hold reams of office paper work well. I can fit short fatboys and tall 12oz bottles in them. I also have a virtually unlimited suppply of the boxes.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-File-Storage-Crates-Black/product_253856?cmArea=SEARCH

They hold 29 bottles and stack. sometimes especially prior to start of school they have them on sale. I use black for empty bottles, white for bottles carbing, and grey for storage/aging, and have some green ones I use for those ready to drink. I use old case cardboard inserts to keep the bottles separated and the empties I store upside down

Do bombers fit in? How about EZ Cap 500 ML or 1 liter?

I'm kinda surprised that "milk crates" hasn't been posted yet. I can get 25 bottles in one, and they are stackable. It might be tight with some bottles, but my bottle herd is mostly Paulaner bottles, so they all fit with just enough room. YMMV.

I just use old milk crates. They hold exactly 16 Grolsch flip top bottles each. I have them stacked floor to ceiling right now :)

I use Sterilite 64 quart totes from Dollar General Store. $9 each. Stores 72 beer bottles in each and stack very nicely. I put a bag of desiccant in the top just to keep any moisture out. I store them after the labels have been removed and washed thoroughly. The totes are clear so that you can see that nothing mysterious is growing around your bottles. They are considered "white" and the model is 1497. Size is 23 3/4"L X 16"W X 13 1/2"H. If you lay your bottles on their sides in alternating rows of 5 then 6, you can get 3 cases of bottles in there and still leave a space for an 8" X 12" bag of desiccant to absorb any moisture that accumulates.

I scored a few of these coke trays. Mine are little deeper and have a wall in the middle

IMG_3939.JPG

I use a few different methods. I have the fastrack drying system (two in fact--lucked into one CHEAP) and I store the bottles inverted in it.

I also use beer cases and store the bottles inside them using six-pack holders.

I have a couple of Sam Adams 12-pack boxes. I cut some dividers to fit so the bottles won't clank, and put empty bottles in those as well.

I even have an old beer case (the really old and cool kind with the side-by-side flip lids) and i just use six-pack holders in it.

Diaper boxes; rough cut cardboard for flat bottom plus a little Gorilla tape on bottom, not really (reliably) stack-able, but works well. I have plans to build some wood crates that can stack, but that is on a long list of other things i plan to do.

I use eurostyle beercrates, but as I live in europe, that might be easier for me than you guys ;D

The nice thing is, they stack, they are very solid and they fit perfect for my bottles :D
top pic is 24 times 33 cl, bottom 16 times .5 liter

Grolsch-bier-krat.jpg

grolsch_krat_16_beugels_45cl.jpg

I use a FastRack to dry my bottles. When that fills up they go back into the cases they came in, which could be 24 or 12 packs.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this thread, a HBT classic that grew wild into a million different bottle-storing options:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=318788

THAT SAID, after making a couple of the boxes from the thread above, I've just reverted to milk crates. They stack easy, are reasonably cheap on Amazon (or were the last time I bought any) and fit longnecks 5x5 or fliptops in a 4x4 configuration.

I store my empties upside down in a round rubbermaid tub (after rinsing thoroughly) in preparation for sanitizing. The full bottles I keep in plastic cases designed for beer.

Easy peezy lemon squeezy...

Back