How well will the yeast hold up in long shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about the condition of my yeast when it arrives today. I ordered from Austin Homebrew on May 29 but due to the Memorial Day weekend my order isn't getting here until today (June 7). I'm pretty sure they didn't add the yeast to the shipment until the day it shipped (June 1) but that still means it has been in transit for a week.

When I have ordered from AHB other times it arrived in about 4 days and the yeast and cold pack were "cool" but not cold. After 7 days I'm worried that the yeast has been at room temperature for at least 3 days. I plan on making a starter, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go to the LHBS and pick up a new vial so I can be sure of the yeast viability?

This will be my first attempt at partial mash so if there is anything odd in the final product I want to be sure it was my process, not the yeast.

I live in north Idaho, so the temps aren't too extreme (highs around 65)
The yeast is WLP001.
I'm making Karankawa Pale Ale.

You don't need to worry about room temperature, just extreme heat.

Make a starter, that's the only way you'll know for sure.

Back