What's a fair price for a keg kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's for a sanke keg. It will not work with cornie kegs without a connection kit.

That actually looks like a pretty bad deal: looks like it's just a 5 lb CO2 tank, regulator, and tap. For a kegorator kit, you'd also need a tower and fittings (which can run another $100)...and of course kegs (used cornies are up to $40)! I'd check and see if you can find a kit with a new CO2 tank, used corny keg, regulator, and picnic tap. That's the main items you need in a starter kit.

Thanks Davesrose! I had a feeling the kid was a bit over priced. Is a tower 100% necessary? I was thinking about using a door mount or picnic style tap.

What do you think I should offer him for that kit considering the necessary upgrades? Thanks!!

It really depends on the size of the tank. The sanke coupler is not worth anything if you're going to be using cornie kegs, and you can buy a brand new kit (including a keg!) for $158.95 from kegconnection.com.

1 Keg Basic Keg Kit

A decent regulator is $40-60 brand new, and a co2 (5#) is $65. A few hoses and quick disconnects would be in the range of $15-$20. He's offering the sanke tap, which would be $30, and a faucet, which is around $20 for one with a tap handle. So, that set up brand new would run you around $190 or so. Not a good deal at all, when you can get a homebrew setup for $160 from kegconnection.

What I did was price it all out, and ended up getting the two keg set up from kegconnection.com, along with an extra keg, for around $240 or so. I got this one: 2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!) and added an extra keg.

By the way, I used the picnic taps for a couple of years before I drilled my fridge. It worked great, and I still can use a keg and the picnic taps when I have a picnic or travel with my keg. This weekend, I'm taking a couple of kegs to a party, and I'll use the line and picnic taps I bought a couple of years ago with my keg kit. Even if you do go with faucets eventually, it's nice to have the picnic faucets.

Wow, thanks for the info! I have a feeling that he's not going to like the price I come up with... It seems like that kit is only worth about $75, if that. Home brew equipment in the Portland area definitely fetches a premium. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks Davesrose! I had a feeling the kid was a bit over priced. Is a tower 100% necessary?

Well no....certainly it depends on the setup you're going for. I only mentioned tower because that's the setup I went with: a mini fridge with dual tower on top of the fridge. If you wind up with a large fridge or even go with a big freezer, then you'd find yourself having to invest in several taps anyway. If you don't want to invest in setting up an actual kegorator yet, I would go for just the picnic tap with CO2 and used keg: that gives you the most bang for buck right now. My 2 cents...don't even bother with this particular posting since you're probably only going to find the CO2 tank and regulator the only real usable objects. Decide on what type of taps you want once you secure a fridge you'd like to sacrifice to a kegorator.....and then, later you'll want to get another fridge for lagering....and then.... well this is an evil cycle :cross::D

Well no....certainly it depends on the setup you're going for. I only mentioned tower because that's the setup I went with: a mini fridge with dual tower on top of the fridge. If you wind up with a large fridge or even go with a big freezer, then you'd find yourself having to invest in several taps anyway. If you don't want to invest in setting up an actual kegorator yet, I would go for just the picnic tap with CO2 and used keg: that gives you the most bang for buck right now. My 2 cents...don't even bother with this particular posting since you're probably only going to find the CO2 tank and regulator the only real usable objects. Decide on what type of taps you want once you secure a fridge you'd like to sacrifice to a kegorator.....and then, later you'll want to get another fridge for lagering....and then.... well this is an evil cycle :cross::D

Oh, it's an evil cycle all right.

However, you can "get by" with picnic taps in ANY fridge/keezer/kegerator set up. A tower, or through the door faucets are just better looking and maybe more convenient.

I have a 3/4 sized fridge (apartment sized). I did fine with two kegs and the co2 tank in there, and using picnic taps. Oh, I did have to open the fridge door to use the taps, but I lived. A couple of years later, I drilled the front of my fridge, and also the side (so the co2 tank could go outside) so I could have three faucets and drip trays (pix in gallery). It was a gradual process, and I didn't need the faucets right away.

If you want to get into kegging, though, think first about what you're going to be using for cooling. A freezer, dorm fridge, full side fridge, etc, before you decide on faucets and/or a tower. Some keezers look great with towers, some have the faucets through the collar. For a dorm fridge, if you want faucets, you need a tower (unless you stick with the picnic taps). Any of those ways are acceptable, depending on how many kegs you plan on dispensing at a time, and how much room you have in your house.

However, you can "get by" with picnic taps in ANY fridge/keezer/kegerator set up. A tower, or through the door faucets are just better looking and maybe more convenient.

Definitely...and until you're settled on what type of fridge you want to dispense from, I think it's a waste to get some used setup with one tap. Better to get a system that includes a keg and CO2 system that you'll continue to use....even if you find yourself replacing the picnic tap with a faucet. But then again, I find myself still using a picnic tap for my bottle dispensing system! So a normal intro keg system with 1 or 2 kegs, regulator, and picnic tap will take you very far.

Once you settle on a particular fridge/freezer...you can decide how many taps you want and then can find a better deal on any bulk taps/ tower/ etc.

Back