Making the jump soon. How does this look for starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a similar setup. The only problem is the pot is just barely big enough, but that is a good place to start. You can always get a bigger pot later and still use the burner.

I would look for a larger pot if you can find one. It would be worth the extra $$ I think. I have a 30 qt, and if you are planning on doing all-grain full boils, you will need more room. I boil off 1 - 1.5 gallons in 60 minutes, and like to put 5.5 G in the fermenter. Foam control drops or not... aint big enough.

I would look for 40 qt minimum, otherwise you are gonna be topping off with tapwater.

30qt is fine for me. Just watch out for when it 1st starts to boil and your hops additions. I use a $1 spray bottle from dollar tree to spray down the foam. I have no probs keeping the 6.5 gallons contained after the hot breaks.

32 qts is my absolute minimum for mid-gravity beers. I prefer my 60-qt kettle...once you hit hotbreak and spray/stir/lower the burner level, you can leave it pretty much unattended outside of your hop/IM/IC additions. 30 qt has never been enough for me. I have 2 of them because they came with my walmart turkey fryers, but I just use them for heating sparge water. And heaven forbid if you want to brew a high-gravity beer with excess preboil volume!

IIWY, I'd get the bayou classic patio cooker (doesn't come with a kettle, and is much more efficient and better at heating), and get a big (50-60QT) aluminum pot from instawares. I think mine was like all of $70 shipped for the 60qt. One of the best investments I've made!

I agree with Evan!. Spend the extra money now to save it later.

I bought the cheap-o turkey fryer set and the burner sucks and I don't even use the pot anymore.

With the 60qt (I got mine for $50 (new) at a hispanic flea market) you can do big beers and move to 10 gal batches if you want to.

I didn't want to discourage you when I first read the thread, but "bigger is better" applies to pots as well as some other things. Mine is 40qt and is perfect for 5-6 gallon batches.

... Will the pot be big enough for a full boil? ...
IMO, no. That will hold 7-1/2 gals. For most five gal. batches, you'll be boiling from roughly seven gals. down to five. A 30qt. pot leaves you little room for boil-over protection. You'll have to watch that thing like a hawk and fight to keep everything contained during the ramp-up to boil.

I'd get a 40qt. if at all possible. That is what I started AG with and I'm glad I did. That set up looks nice, otherwwise; especially for the price. Just too bad that pot isn't 40qts.

Thanks everyone. I kinda knew that was going to be the case. But, that is why I enjoy this forum so much. So much knowledge to tap into.

:mug:

So much knowledge to tap into.

:mug:

iseewhatyoudidthere-45311.jpg

Just an FYI, I ordered the one here same description as yours, same comments but it was a 26qt pot. I'd call and get the King Kooker model number from them and make sure it's the right one. I called a little over a week back, and they said they would look to get me a new pot, but I still haven't heard anything from them.

I say get it. That's an outstanding price. The burner alone is probably worth almost that much, and to have a tapped pot would be handy down the road for a hot liquor tank or something.

I bought a turkey fryer kit because it was cheap, and only thought I would use the burner. Turns out, I use the 30 qt aluminum pot now as much as my keggle. I fill it up to within an inch or two of the brim, toss in some foam control drops, and forget about it.

Anyways, for that kind of price you probably wouldn't go wrong just trying it. If you want to get something bigger later, then you will already have a burner and a hot liquor tank.

I say get it. That's an outstanding price. The burner alone is probably worth almost that much, and to have a tapped pot would be handy down the road for a hot liquor tank or something.

I bought a turkey fryer kit because it was cheap, and only thought I would use the burner. Turns out, I use the 30 qt aluminum pot now as much as my keggle. I fill it up to within an inch or two of the brim, toss in some foam control drops, and forget about it.

Anyways, for that kind of price you probably wouldn't go wrong just trying it. If you want to get something bigger later, then you will already have a burner and a hot liquor tank.

Thanks for the input FlyGuy and thanks for the link issack . We are tettering on the fence here. I know the price is awesome and we're going that way sooner then later. Again thanks to everyone for the help.

Back