Crab apple wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience making crab apple wine? My mother in laws tree is very full this year. I also have a very full regular apple tree. I know crab apples are very tart, so would it be best to blend the 2? I've seen some with just water and sugar. Wasn't sure if anyone has tried this, and what the outcome was.

i'm also curious. My tree this year has more fruit than i have seen in 20+ years. apples are still really starchy though...

Yooper, I see that most people crush up their apples and put the pulp in water. I have a small cider press. What would be the difference if I pressed the apples and fermented the juice? Is one way better than the other?

Yooper, I see that most people crush up their apples and put the pulp in water. I have a small cider press. What would be the difference if I pressed the apples and fermented the juice? Is one way better than the other?

I like to ferment on the pulp. What I've been doing lately is crushing the fruit and keeping it in the bags from the press, and fermenting the juice and the fruit for the first 5 days or so. Then, I take out the fruit and repress. It gives it more body, more tannins, and just has "more" to it. Then I put it in secondary, both the juice and the juice from the second pressing.

I hope that makes sense! Just juice is ok, but fermenting on the pulp and skins as well during primary just gives it a flavor boost as well as more body.

I guess I should clarify my question, or maybe I'm not understanding you :) what is the purpose in adding water at all? Why not just press the apples for the juice, add your sugar, acid blend, yeast etc and not add water?

I guess I should clarify my question, or maybe I'm not understanding you :) what is the purpose in adding water at all? Why not just press the apples for the juice, add your sugar, acid blend, yeast etc and not add water?

Crabapples can be very acidic, and by diluting with water a bit it helps reduce the acid. I do some crabapple cider, without using water or sugar, but I often have to mix it with sweeter apples to make it palatable.

I am glad to hear you like the Rescues, I have some we grafted but the "real Brit" cider makers dont like it, to much flavor or something like that:) WVMJ

I am glad to hear you like the Rescues, I have some we grafted but the "real Brit" cider makers dont like it, to much flavor or something like that:) WVMJ

I LOVE the rescues! They really bring a spiciness to the cider/wine. They go perfectly with the centennial crabs, and it makes a great combination.

I tried a crabapple cyser/melomel a few years ago. Whole fruit with skin on, and used a raspberry honey I had gotten at the brewery supply. It came out a beautiful blush/pink color and aged into the most wonderful stuff I believe I ever made. Unfortunately I only made a couple gallons as it was an experimental batch. I would totally suggest that anyone that has access to crabapples to ferment it into something... anything!

Just went out and tasted our first crop of Hyslop, awesome, sweet and tannic and might even go all juice with these. WVMJ

Crab Apples fermented with Jack Daniels wood chips! (Apple Jack)
Of all my wines this was the most impressive wine I have made so far!!

The biggest issue I had was it took a lot of racking to turn almost 2 gallons of recipe into a final 3 bottles!!

Maybe start a new thread with your recipe and technique, WVMJ

Crab Apples fermented with Jack Daniels wood chips! (Apple Jack)
Of all my wines this was the most impressive wine I have made so far!!

The biggest issue I had was it took a lot of racking to turn almost 2 gallons of recipe into a final 3 bottles!!

Back