Oatmeal Stout Secret Agent Oat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureOfTheYeast

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 007
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13 Days @68*F
Tasting Notes
Black cherry and plum esters, chocolatey coffee roast, oatmeal cookie undertones
72% Brewhouse Efficiency
153*F Mash for 70 Minutes

GRIST:
9 lbs Maris Otter (3.5L) Grain 72%
1.25 lbs Golden Naked Oats (10L) Grain 10%
1 lbs Crystal 45 UK [Thomas Fawcett] (3.0L) Grain 8%
10 oz Chocolate (350L) Grain 5%
10 oz Roasted Barley (550L) Grain 5%

HOPS:
1 oz East Kent Goldings [5.7% AA] (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings [5.7% AA] (10 min)

YEAST:
1 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs WLP 007) into 2L starter

OTHER:
Powdered Irish Moss (Break Bright) [1/4 tsp] (30 mins)
or
Whirlfloc - Half tablet (15 mins)

---------------------------------

WATER (OPTIONAL):

Calcium (PPM): 85
Magnesium (PPM): 5
Sodium (PPM): 15
Sulfate (PPM): 60
Chloride (PPM): 35
Bicarbonate (PPM): 185

FERMENTATION:

I chilled directly after flameout to 64*F, then pitched yeast. I allowed the beer to free-rise to 68*F over the course of a day or so, then began temperature control to maintain 68*F. Waited for signs of vigorous fermentation to complete, approximately 3 days - this yeast is a raging beast. After airlock bubbling slowed, I then allowed the temperature to free rise over the course of 3 days to 72*F, where I then held it. 10 days in, I began the cold crash at 32*F for 3 days, until the morning of bottle day.

Prime to 2.0 volumes CO2

NOTES (OPTIONAL READING):

This is for 6 gallons in the fermenter, but it's easy to adjust for volume or efficiency, with straightforward grist percentages.

The "secret agent" in this beer is the Simpsons Golden Naked Oats, but, I of course named the beer after the yeast (007). Anyway, these oats are friggin' delicious, with a fantastic oatmeal cookie flavor, and I could eat them by the handful. Thing is, they're considered a crystal malt, so if you can't get access to them, then I'd imagine that rolled oats are a fine substitute, but you might need to raise the amount of other crystal malts in order to compensate, or better yet, toast your rolled oats.

I also used Thomas Fawcett Crystal 45 malt that my LHBS has on special right now. It's fairly unique, but with the amounts that I'm using, they could likely be substituted for with crystal 60, or something similar.

The esters here are great, and remind me of cherry chocolate coffee cake, but they can be suppressed by lowering the fermentation temperature from 68*F to 65*F. Also, the Goldings hops can definitely be replaced by Fuggles, or any other traditional, low alpha English hop.

One final thing, this yeast is one bad mofo. It ferments like a beast, creates a huge krausen, finishes in a few days, then drops like a brick. It definitely demands temperature control, as any significant temp drop will trigger flocculation and the end of any fermentation. Also, when raising the temp after initial fermentation, I like to "twist" the fermenter a few times a day to shake any CO2 loose from the yeast cake and rouse the yeast to clean up their mess. If you can manage this yeast, it will pay you back in spades with a well attenuated, and free from off flavors, brew.

Most importantly, have fun!

Back