Leaking Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollhousebrewery

Reaction score
I made a wort chiller from 50ft of copper tubing 3/8"OD and have the input/output (3/8"ID) hoses hose clamped onto the copper tubing. I have a horribly obnoxious leak on the inlet. How can I get this to stop? I don't even think I can get the stupid clamp tighter without breaking it! Is there some trick I can use? Or do I just need a better method of attachment? It seems many have done it this way without issue, but mine just sucks... I need it to stop, Im having to wrap a rag around it just so it wont spray into the wort when I am chilling it.

On a side note, it works like a dream, aside from the leak...

You could try pushing the hose up further and using double hose clamps. That's basically what I had to do with my outer (cooling) hose on my CFC.

I, unfortunately, do not know how to solder... how embarrassing to have to say here. I want to learn, but do not have the money for the equipment at this time.

Good idea with the double hose clamps. I didnt think of that. It seems that it is because its a small gauge, it cant clamp in a full circle.

"The equipment" for coper soldering is a torch (less than 15 bucks probably), flux, and solder. My guess is you could solder on hose couplers for less than 30 dollars total investment, or use compression fittings for less than 10.

use the little metal screw on clamps and use two of them.

One final tip. Add a small piece of larger diameter hose (with an ID the same as your 3/8" hose's OD) over the hose and put a larger diameter clamp on that. You're right, worm drive clamps have a real hard time with any hose under 5/8".

Back