WTF...Broken caps on sanitizer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This just happened on my StarSan. I just finished a bottle of Iodaphor with the same problem.
Tightened that cap and it split!

@#$%*^%&%^$!

090307_18031.jpg

The bottles of Iodophor that I've had delivered from MoreBeer always come with clear packing tape around the caps, I wonder if it's a problem they know about and use the tape to prevent it...

Or maybe you just need to lay off the spinach there popeye...:D

This is a common problem with strong chemicals packaged in polyolefins, it's called environmental stress cracking. I have complained to my LHBS about this, and pointed out that the problem has been solved by most polymer suppliers, so that Five Star needs to get get different caps. My last bottle came with a black cap, so maybe they have already fixed the problem.

That has happened to me before.

A hint--buy the big brown bottles of hydrogen peroxide at Walmart for 2 dollars and use the caps from those. Perfect fit and they don't crack like the star-san ones do.

Dude said:
That has happened to me before.

A hint--buy the big brown bottles of hydrogen peroxide at Walmart for 2 dollars and use the caps from those. Perfect fit and they don't crack like the star-san ones do.

Thanks! My 32 oz bottle of Starsan gave me a cracked lid within two week. I swapped lids and taped it down. Now I'm more gentle, but live the peroxide cap idea.

EdWort said:
Thanks! My 32 oz bottle of Starsan gave me a cracked lid within two week. I swapped lids and taped it down. Now I'm more gentle, but live the peroxide cap idea.

Paying essentiually 2 bucks for a cap sucks, but star-san is like gold. :D

Dude said:
Paying essentiually 2 bucks for a cap sucks, but star-san is like gold. :D

Yeah, but I want to keep the bottle cause I have a gallon of the stuff that I bought in January for $26.

It should last me a few years. :D

Yep, it happens with the black caps too, both of mine are broke so I used some press and seal wrap as a temp fix.

AiredAle said:
This is a common problem with strong chemicals packaged in polyolefins, it's called environmental stress cracking. I have complained to my LHBS about this, and pointed out that the problem has been solved by most polymer suppliers, so that Five Star needs to get get different caps. My last bottle came with a black cap, so maybe they have already fixed the problem.

I had this problem with a black cap on Star-San. PITA

AiredAle said:

I've had the black caps split on me before. Now I'm just very careful not to over-tighten them.

killian said:
edwort where did you find a gallon of star san?

North Country Malt, when I facilitated a bulk buy. Picked up a gallon of Starsan and a 50# bucket of PWB. I split the bucket with a few folks though.

Latest posts

Back