Dark Crystal 150L substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoFBrewer

Reaction score
I am trying to make a Maple Ale and the recipe calls for UK Dark Crystal Malt 150L - my local homebrew shop, he doesn't have any in stock and suggested I use Crystal 120L and just add an extra 5%. I also have some Caraaroma which I believe is in the 130-170L range. Any idea which one would be better or if there is a better alternative?

This is only my second batch without the use of a premade kit, so I am not sure how they compare in terms of flavour, aroma, etc. Any suggestions or advice would be great! Thanks!

Why would you add 5% more? They should give the same PPG. You can try making your own. Just google "make your own crystal malt." I did this once and made a nice English Pale Ale with only 2-row that I had on hand. I can tell you though that the crystal that I made varied widely in color-probably more than 30L, so just using the 120 is probably just as good of an option.

Back