Homebrewers in Charleston WV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefglb

Reaction score
I know there has to be more than one person in this city that brews their own beers!! We need to get on the map! Please respond.

Been brewing for about a year...and i agree would love to be able to get some grains around here instead of everything been shipped in....LOL...:mug:

I'm new in Fairmont. Visit Charleston a few times a year. Anywhere in Chas to get supplies? I'd like to find a local-ish supplier.

there is a small shop in huntington that has very very limited items. If someone opened one up here in Charleston I beleive it would do pretty good!

Reporting in from Morgantown. TJinWV, Slight Indulgence in Morgantown on High Street has a limited amount of supplies on hand, and can order. Also there is a shop in Nutter Fort (The Cellar or something) that sells homebrew supplies. I buy online though, got snubbed by the owner of Slight Indulgence once trying to strike up a conversation about homebrew, apparently his cell phone was more important than a customer.

Reporting in from Morgantown. TJinWV, Slight Indulgence in Morgantown on High Street has a limited amount of supplies on hand, and can order. Also there is a shop in Nutter Fort (The Cellar or something) that sells homebrew supplies. I buy online though, got snubbed by the owner of Slight Indulgence once trying to strike up a conversation about homebrew, apparently his cell phone was more important than a customer.

That's what I get for cross-posting. :) Thanks for the info, though. This isn't the first time I've heard about poor customer service at Slight Indulgence.

I live near corridor G and I've been brewing for three going on four years. This year I stepped up to kegging and all-grain brewing. I also planted ten hops plants five varieties. All my friends call me an addict or brew master but I've had no success in getting any of them into brewing themselves. I would love to meet other brewers and trade brews or help brew. I'm willing to let people use my equipment if they bring their own gas or pay for what they use.

I heard there used to be a home brew supply store here but it didn't stick around. The only place I have found is in Ashland, KY. I was on a mission to buy some dogfish head brews.

Tim

Homebrewer here in the Beckley area. Have been brewing for about five or six years. Lost track. I haven't brewed anything in a while though. I'm from South Charleston and I'm in Charleston pretty often.

Metzger,

I'll be brewing Friday as long as my yeast starters all look good. Your welcome to come over and hang out.

Tim

Hey thanks for the invite Tim. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it down there this week. Where do you live in SC? I grew up down town.

Hey Metzger,

Know any other brewers in the Beckley area? I'm just outside of Pineville and am looking to find others in this area to get together with, or possibly make a group buy. There have to be more of us in southern WV.

Chuck

Hey Metzger,

Know any other brewers in the Beckley area? I'm just outside of Pineville and am looking to find others in this area to get together with, or possibly make a group buy. There have to be more of us in southern WV.

Chuck

No, unfortunately I don't. I'm in the National Guard with a guy that brews but he lives in Chas. Last I heard he was buying a conical fermenter. Pretty sweet.

I'm in the charleston area and I would love to get in on a group buy I just bought a 50 pound sack of 2 row. Really sucks not having a lhbs you got remember everything. Just to show how awsum this forum is I was on and I was stressing on yeast and some dude sent me a couple of packs of us 05 overnighted it from his company so I could brew one week. I tried to pay him and he told me to pay it forward very cool of him saved my brew weekend !!!!

Forddog

I too am in charleston. I also just got a 50 pound bag of two row. I plan to brew up a lot of different batches to compare all the yeast I have in my yeast bank. I usually brew on Thursday's of Fridays since those are my days off. When do you brew? Where in charleston are you located?

Tim

Usually on saturday or sunday but have brewed in about a month been gathering supplies past couple months. Next big project is to get these keggles built. Just got my ferm chamber built and stocking up on grain and hops. Kewl on yeast farming saves so much in the long run may have to see what you have. I m big on yeast washing just got thru with my 380 did a couple of hef recipes i got on here sd slims lemon lime hef and dubbel dachs watermelon wheat both excellent summer beers but i can never keep them that long ...LOL

I've got one keggle I built. I use two 10 gal igloo coolers for HLT and MT. I've also get ten hops plants in their first year of growth with five varieties. I should get a good crop still. I've been working on my own IPA recipe which is my goal for this fall when the tap water cools a little more.

Last week I brewed with my plate chiller for the first time which worked very well. Tap water is 80 and I chilled the wort down to 82 as fast as I could drain the keggle.

I want to make a few changes to my system. I want to make an electric HLT and build a RIMS or HERM MT. I also need to modify my burner for my keggle. I burn through a lot of propane during each brew because the burner sits too low for maximum efficiency due to the extra lip on the keggle.

I've been brewing for four years but switched to all grain this year. I already have 6 all grain brews under my belt which all turned out great. I don't know what it is but all the extract brews I did seemed to be missing something. Whatever it is I have it in the all grain brews so I'm very happy with my beers now. I also like the challenge of all grain brewing and trying to hit OG while brewing.

Saturday's I work at 4pm so maybe I could come by during one of your brews, meet you, and share a few brews I've made.

Tim

Wheeling here. Just wanted to say high to my fellow wv brewers. I get to Charleston a few times a year and am always looking for a place to get a good craft beer on tap. I've been to pints and pies and was impressed with a widmer drifter pale ale they had. Any other places to get a good beer in Charleston?

PJM,

Charleston is kinda dry for draft beers. Soon there will be an English micro brew pub opening. I think next year is their plan. There was a blues BBQ downtown that had a huge selection of beers on tap but I'm pretty sure they are gone. I could be wrong. I usually have some home brews ready so you can always hit me up when you come to town. Maybe we can trade some brews or you can have some of mine if you promise to give me an honest review.

I've got one keggle I built. I use two 10 gal igloo coolers for HLT and MT. I've also get ten hops plants in their first year of growth with five varieties. I should get a good crop still. I've been working on my own IPA recipe which is my goal for this fall when the tap water cools a little more.

Last week I brewed with my plate chiller for the first time which worked very well. Tap water is 80 and I chilled the wort down to 82 as fast as I could drain the keggle.

I want to make a few changes to my system. I want to make an electric HLT and build a RIMS or HERM MT. I also need to modify my burner for my keggle. I burn through a lot of propane during each brew because the burner sits too low for maximum efficiency due to the extra lip on the keggle.

I've been brewing for four years but switched to all grain this year. I already have 6 all grain brews under my belt which all turned out great. I don't know what it is but all the extract brews I did seemed to be missing something. Whatever it is I have it in the all grain brews so I'm very happy with my beers now. I also like the challenge of all grain brewing and trying to hit OG while brewing.

Saturday's I work at 4pm so maybe I could come by during one of your brews, meet you, and share a few brews I've made.

Tim

Do you keep a constant ferm temperature i have found that has made a big difference in my all grain. I do brew in a bag and have found it to be extremely ease transition. Would love to swap a few brews I m dying to get honest feedback all my friends love it but they just love free beer....Also just got a new grain mill last week dying to try....I just never got time to brew family constraints and I'm addicted to these forums have learned and save so much.

ohh here was my last one the aforementioned watermelon wheat

Kevin

photo.jpg

Kevin,

I'm able to hold my temps pretty good. I place my ales on the concrete basement floor. It holds them around 65. When I need to go colder I use my keggerator which has a temperature controller on it.

image-2101136462.jpg

That's a picture of my corona clone in the keggerator. I brewed it last week.

image-931302107.jpg

My hops beginning to produce cones.

Tim

Attachments

• image-544780474.jpg
    image-544780474.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 337
Cheers Fellow CRW and WV brewers,

I live in Charleston, off of Lucado and Smith. I have done 30 -40 all grain brews, batch sparge, recirc chiller w/ pump. Still experimenting w/ the setup and would love to get together to brew sometime, share some homebrew and learn from others. Thanks for starting this thread.

Evan

Evan,

We chatted in northern Brewer's forum. We will get together an brew sometime. I usually brew on thursday and Fridays since those are my days off right now. I've got 25 gallons fermenting and next week I plan to do my first ten gallon batch.

Soon my hops will be ready for harvest and I plan to start experimenting with them. I have five varieties and two if each growing. This is their first year but it looks like I will get a harvest from each one. It took a while to figure out their nutrient needs but now that I have that squared away they are kicking butt!

Tim

would any of the Charleston or Wv home brewers be down for arranging a meeting some where. We can discus brews ideas, and hell even arrange a brew session some time. If people are interested I am sure we can set something up.

I would be up for a meeting or what ever. I haven't brewed anythiing in a long time but I'm itching to get back at it. My schedule is pretty hectic most of the time but if you guys planned a meeting I could try to make. No promises though.

Metzger22,

I'm not sure when my next brew will be. We recently lost two friends do my swmbo and I have been dealing with that lately. Kevin is probably the next one to make a batch. I'll see if he wouldn't mind having a big get together at his place. Where in charleston do you live? I posted earlier where I'm located. I accept texts too. You can text me anytime at 304-767-8034.

Tim

Tim,
sorry to hear about you loss.
A brew day sounds great. I only have a few brew under my belt... all extract and some cider.
I would welcome the chance to get together with other Charleston Home Brewers to talk, learn and have fun home brewing.
If everyone wants to maybe we can set up a a meet and great sorta thing, som where like pies and pints or lolas, or somethinga
I live on the West side charleston edgewood area. I would down for a brew day.

My schedule kinda blows when it comes to weekends. During the week I can usually do something. Thursday andfriday are my days off. If we do something then I will be there.

Thursday or friday would be good for a meet and great type of deal. I finish work around 5 we could set it up for like 6:30 or 7. opened to all. If any one has any ideas feel free to shoot them.

I could do next week for the meet. Pick a time and place. I'm not sure if Kevin is reading this but I can text him to see what he can do.

My hops are all first year. I have cascade, nugget, mount hood, fuggle, and Newport. My yield wasn't as much as I hoped for. I have about two ounces dried. I will just throw together a pale ale and toss them in there. That's my next brew. I hope to have much more next year. Mine stopped growing for about a month until I figured out what they needed then they doubled in size but it was too late at that point for a bug harvest.

how about next Thursday 9/6/12 at 6:30 at Pies and Pints downtown? I figure some Pizza and beer would be a great way to talk about home brewing. If any one else has has any ideas feel free to post.
I don't know how many people check this forum, but any one and everyone would be welcomed!

Sounds great!
Any one else coming. I would like to get a head count for table purposes.
So if any one else is coming please post here before Thursday.

Tim are still going to be there on Thursday?
Is any one else interested in coming? we are sitting up a meeting at PIES and PINTS This Thursday at 6:30. If you want to come post here that way we can get a table for the right amount of people?
Cheers,
Dustin

Latest posts

Back