Brewing Classic Styles issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a link to this? I'd like to read it. Don't tell me you remembered those numbers off of the top of your head. ;)

You're darn right I didn't! :D Hell, if i hadn't listened to it within the past couple weeks, I might not have remembered that the episode existed. ;)

I don't have a link to a written version, just the audio:
The Brewing Network.com - :

The part about the side by side comparisons start around the 30 minute point.

I don't know, but I have been using BCS for my last few brews and I've been very happy with the results. From BCS, I've brewed the Witbeer (HM), Kolsch (1st), Amber (2nd), Vienna, and Bock. I just entered the Vienna and Bock into competition so we'll see how those go.

The competitions are BJCP so that's what you're restricted to. I think this is a great book but your skill as a brewer is what stands out. I've made a few terrible beer from BCS when I didn't have my techniques or yeast handling down. I know it's cliche, but the beer is much more influenced by the brewer than the recipe.

That said, you should give "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels a shot. It's a good book and can help you to develop your own recipes. If you're interested in making your own recipes, then it would be perfect for you. My take is that a lot of the brewing books that are out there are really targeting folks who are new to the hobby and don't have much value for me. "Designing Great Beers" is not one of those books.

I read Designing Great Beers years ago, which I think is part of the problem. Like I said in my first post, I think part of the problem is that BCS is a beginner's/reference book and I was looking too much into it.

I read Designing Great Beers years ago, which I think is part of the problem. Like I said in my first post, I think part of the problem is that BCS is a beginner's/reference book and I was looking too much into it.

i think you just nailed it Airborne. BCS is a book of extract recipes. i think it's like that so beginners can brew the recipes as is, intermediate and more advanced brewers can use the recipes as a base to build from. to use your example, a beginner who brews extract w/grains doesn't have the means to do a decoction, so the recipe provides the next best way to present that beer. you or i could eliminate the crystal malt and do a decoction mash to caramelize some base malt. i personally like some of the recipes in that book, but when i brew them, they're completely tuned to my equipment and process.

as far as Designing Great Beers goes, i keep hearing that's a great read. i think i need to get myself a copy.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
as far as Designing Great Beers goes, i keep hearing that's a great read. i think i need to get myself a copy.

Do yourself the biggest favor ever and buy that book. We used it all the time in the brewery to see if our ideas were too far off for specific beers. Example, our house stout done with a kolsch yeast. Yummy! Though the book didn't tell us to do that, it made us look at what it might add to the party.

Back