Beating a dead horse here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUMonkeyBoy

Reaction score
I've searched, but couldn't find a definitive answer to how much Pumpkin Spice I should add to my Wilde Hogge Amber Ale. I am going to bottle half before I add McCormicks Pumpkin Pie Spice...How much should I had for 2.5 gallons. :mug:

I add all spices into the boil @ 15 minutes. I would have no idea how to add them as you are asking however you may want to consider using some spices and sugar to "rim the glass" like a magarita. I have had more than 1 pumpkin beer this way and some actually benifit GREATLY from this technique IMO.

Try adding a bit to a glass of beer until it tastes right then estimate how much for a gallon. Brew a batch and split at least some into 2 1-gallon fermenters and add the amount you calculated to one, and half that to another. Some of these spices can be really strong and it just might be too heartbreaking to waste a full 5 gallons.

B

Depending on how and when you add spices they offer different flavors. Some spices benefit from the "cooked flavor" of being boiled, some are better steeped in a secondary, others benefit from being extracted with alcohol and added in measured amounts.

At this point I'd add say a teaspoon or two of spices to a couple ounces of vodka then straining through a coffee filter after 3-6 days, and then add them to taste based off of a smaller measured addition to a sample.

I was to eager and added a table spoon to two gallons. I have a good feeling it'll be delicious.

I added 5 tablespoons to my last pumpkin ale for 5 gallons, and it tasted like liquid pumpkin pie. The recipe called for 2 tablespoons.

For 2.5 gallons, I would do 1 tablespoon if you want it to be subtle, up to 3 tablespoons if you want it to be more prominant.

The excellent thunderstruck pumpkin ale recipe from Yuri rage was 1tblsp for 6 gallons steeped in 1 cup warm (previously boiled) water (I think it was a cup) and that was the perfect amount for what turned out for me as a 5 gallon batch.

I'd do .5 tblsp and see how you like the flavor, if thats not enough, then add more. As the old adage goes, you can always add flavor but you can't take it back.

Wow, some of you guys really loaded in the spice. I used about 1 tablespoon to the water for my priming sugar and heated it close to a boil while stiring and then put that in the bottling bucket. Tasted great, just bottled last night so got a bit to go.

Back