Another Member Of The Family! !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
So my wife and I had our first born 10 months ago ( the best day if my life ) I took a couple months off from brewing just so we could get our feet on the ground ,and things have settled.
Since then I've made the transition to all grain, made a keggle brewing has been better then ever.
SO I get the news apparently I have super sperm lol !! We're going to gave another baby this is the best thing in the world I love being a father.It may sound petty but I'm afraid my brewing days are numbered ANY supporting words of wisdom would be most appropriated!!

Thanks.

Congrats! Have a 10 month old and one on they way...you don't waste much time!

I've got two kids (2 & 6 months). Brew days defititley are more rare, but I'm still able to brew at least once a month. I'm lucky in the fact that my kids go to daycare every Wednesday, wether I work or not. So the Wednesdays I'm off duty, those are daddy days.

My biggest piece of advice is to do 10 gallon batches and keg, if you're not already. Helps keep the pipeline full, and saves more time for the family.

Again, congrats!

My boy just turned 5 and I have a beautiful little girl who is 2 1/2 months I did a brew day on Sunday and they where all about it. Yea you got younger kids but your brew days are only limited if ya let them. Ohh the 10 gallon batch is a great idea

Thanks guys, I guess with the keggle 10 gallon batches are an option, and I already own a kegerator.

i just had our 2nd in 8 weeks ago my first born is 10 yr old. i started brewing just 6 weeeks ago. my wife is very supportave but my son helps out a bit. even if you go back to extract you can be done and cleaned up pretty quick. id say stick with it

Brew days never stopped but they were far in between with me.... If you give the 'ol lady sum good time and rest in the beginning she will return the favor with time for you and your hobby... Though I didn't go to 10 gal batches with my old limited setup at the time it would definitely be a smart choice :)

You'll just have to be flexible with brew days. Some planned days may have to be shifted if life gets too crazy (and there will be some of those). Definitely shouldn't mean brewing is over.

Kids are far better than beer anyway. Ours are 8 and 4. Very interested in my beer making process. Little brewmasters they may someday be. Congrats on your expected family addition!

I would say skip the kids and stick with brewing. Kids are wonderful and a joy to have. Unless you actually have them. Then they become a constant drain on your life and finances. I love my teenage daughters to death but I would shoot myself if I couldn't drink or had to give up brewing. But, to each his own and whatever makes one happy.

That rules, man. I have no kids, but ill definitely save the 10 gallon idea for when I do!

I would say skip the kids and stick with brewing. Kids are wonderful and a joy to have. Unless you actually have them. Then they become a constant drain on your life and finances. I love my teenage daughters to death but I would shoot myself if I couldn't drink or had to give up brewing. But, to each his own and whatever makes one happy.

IMO your crazy. reguardless of the financial burden (to me its not a burden because i enjoy paying for their things) and the "lack" of a social like i couldnt imagine my life with out my kids. i can easily say i have 3-5 "brother" type friends and my kids are on the same level as far as hanging out. i wouldnt change anything.

I'm in the same situation as you. I have a 13 month old and she is the joy of my life.
To shorten my brew day and still do all grain, I've switched to Brew In A Bag (BIAB).

My brew day starts either before she wakes up (6 am ) or after she goes to sleep ( 9 pm )

I think I figured it out, brew days would probably be spontaneous.Take this weekend for example, my is taking our son down the shore with some friends.BAM brew day is Saturday! Don't get me wrong here my wife loves beer and doesn't mind me brewing but with a newborn crying and a 18 month old getting into everything I can see brewing fading away.I just need to find a way to keep it going.

I don't understand why brewing has to stop. When they're old enough to wash and sanitize stuff, they make for cheap labor.

LandoLincoln said:
I don't understand why brewing has to stop. When they're old enough to wash and sanitize stuff, they make for cheap labor.

Good point lol !!

7 year old and a almost 2 year old for me. I brew when they go to bed. I start heating the mash water at dinner time and when they are put down to bed, It's brew time. Yes it is a long night but you gotta work with what you have. I brew 2 times a month as well.

I've got a 15 month old and just had my son Porter 3 weeks ago and I have already been able to brew a batch last week.
I guess it helps that I only work every other day and I have an awesome wife who gave me no complaints when I had to deploy 6 months after my first was born.

Two kids: 1.5 & 4. I brew in the evening (BIAB). Heat the strike water around dinner, dough-in around 7 so that I can start my boil 8 - 8:30 after the kiddos are in bed. Done and cleaned up 10 - 10:30. Easy peasy.

fat_al33 said:
Two kids: 1.5 & 4. I brew in the evening (BIAB). Heat the strike water around dinner, dough-in around 7 so that I can start my boil 8 - 8:30 after the kiddos are in bed. Done and cleaned up 10 - 10:30. Easy peasy.

Two girls, aged 5 and almost 2. Seems like lots of other brewers have the same evening brew routine as me!

I've noticed two significant contingents on HBT: brewers who brew constantly, seemingly without constraints, and those who, because of family responsibilities, struggle to fit in a monthly brew day. I'm in the second camp. It's reassuring to me to know that other brewers know what that's like, and it encourages me to keep at it.

I also appreciate seeing how seriously some of you brewers take your family responsibilities. I won't lie--I'm obsessed with brewing and would do it every day if I could. But balance is important, too. If I brew instead of spending quality time with my wife, then the product won't be something she can fully enjoy drinking. If I focus on brewing at the expense of playing with my daughters, then brewing will end up being something they resent growing up, rather than something THEY can enjoy as passionately as I do, and maybe even carry on the craft after me.

Full disclosure: I'm the child of two alcoholics. When I was little, quality time with my dad meant hanging out at a tavern, playing video games while he drank with his buddies. I have pretty strong feelings about having a different sort of relationship with my own kids.

Back