Post pics of your smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the obligatory thread for any hobby subforum. I'll start.
Here's my UDS I built this past summer. Only got to use it once so far on 11lbs of pork shoulder, but it was awesome!

Smoker with Child friendly fence.
Photo0593.jpg

And the first basket inside with ash pan
fire_basket_inside_ash_pan.jpg

Here's the New Braunfels ready for action.

I typically start with briquettes then add the hardwood once she's up to temp.

NB_ready_for_action.JPG

All the pictures are on my dead laptop but I have a UDS as well and couldn't recommend them enough to people. I am actually about to make a second one and working on designing some sort of cart to hold them both a give me a little table and work area.

Made from a commercial tank with triclover fittings, valves, and pipes.

DSCN0860.JPG

The lid, with a butterfly valve. We tell ourselves that the angled piece on top is functional, but in reality it's just for show :p

DSCN0850.JPG

A 22" standard weber grill grate fits perfectly. We use a little weber smokey joe inside as the firebasket.

DSCN0865.JPG

The pipe on the side is the air intake, which leads directly under the firebasket. We can control the airflow with another butterfly valve.

DSCN0858.JPG

ECB found in mom's barn. Converted to electric. Cobbled together some left over brewery build stuff.

IMG00144_2_.jpg

The controller. PID controls the element and the top display is internal meat temp

IMG00145.jpg

I've been using this to raise bread and pizza doughs with much success, too.

ECB found in mom's barn. Converted to electric. Cobbled together some left over brewery build stuff.

IMG00144_2_.jpg

The controller. PID controls the element and the top display is internal meat temp

IMG00145.jpg

I've been using this to raise bread and pizza doughs with much success, too.

Ohhh, so much to learn.. so little time and money..... and my attention wanders from this hobby to that...
:confused:

I just have a good old UDS myself. Haven't taken any pictures of it yet. My friend down the road however has this little thing.
There is a water box in front of the fire box on the rear of this one. The fire heats the water and it steams through pipes in the cook chamber.

IMG002631.jpg

This is my off-set trailer smoker that I got for $500.00. It's the smoker that I started competing with.

smoker5.jpg

This is one of competition smokers. We now have two of these and we are actually thinking about getting a third one. It's a Cookshack FEC100.

smoker3.jpg

This our chicken cooker at competitions. I also use this as our patio cooker at home. It's a Hasty Bake Ranger.

smoker2.jpg

I also have two other 1950's Hasty Bakes that I am restoring and 3 weber kettles that I rescued from going to the dump. And, YES, I still look at Craigslist daily for more smokers :drunk:

This is my off-set trailer smoker that I got for $500.00. It's the smoker that I started competing with.

smoker5.jpg

I also have two other 1950's Hasty Bakes that I am restoring and 3 weber kettles that I rescued from going to the dump. And, YES, I still look at Craigslist daily for more smokers :drunk:

wow, that is a steal. nice job

Thanks! It has storage in the sides that are air tight which is great for storing wood and other gear for competitions. It's been a good cooker for us for sure.

I like that!

Your fire box is in the same part as your grill?

I'm not really sure of all the possible ways these things work... I need ejumkatin' on the theories and requirements of the whole smoker thing..

But I know they make tasty stuff.. which is in itself enough to make me want one...

The Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team Equipment

Smoker Name: Barbra Q
Smoker: Lang 84 Deluxe with Grill
SmokerType: Stick or Log Burner
Smoker Weight: 1770 Lbs.
Cooking Surface: 23 Square Feet
Features: Grill and Vertical Warmer

langsmall.jpg

Smoker Name: Spicey
Smoker: Spicewine Custom Smoker
SmokerType: Charcoal Vertical Smoker
Smoker Dimensions: (H,W,D) 48"x42"x34"
Smoker Weight: 600 Lbs.
Cooking Surface: 17 Square Feet
Features: BBQ Guru Temperature Control

midispice.jpg

Smoker Name: R2D2
Smoker: 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain
SmokerType: Charcoal Vertical Smoker
Smoker Dimensions: (H,W,D) 48.5"x23"x24"
Smoker Weight: 68 Lbs.
Cooking Surface: 481 Square Inches

weber-smokey-mountain-2820.jpg

Grill Name: Sam I Am
Grill: Extra Large Big Green Egg
Grill Type: Charcoal Ceramic Grill
Grill Area: 452 Square Inches
Grill Weight: 205 Lbs.

egg.jpg

There are so many options out there, and the best thing is that much like brewing, it just depends on how much time and/or money you want to invest, and how much DIY you care to do. From an ugly drum smoker, a store bought vertical smoker, be it gas, electric, or charcoal, a beginner offset smoker like several of us have, all the way up to full competition tow-behind smokers! I really dig the fact that homebrewers and barbequers are very similar and that there is a kind of brotherhood amongst us. For the most part everyone gets along, we can talk for hours about our hobbies, debate technique endlessly, and in the end sit back and enjoy each others efforts.

There are so many options out there, and the best thing is that much like brewing, it just depends on how much time and/or money you want to invest, and how much DIY you care to do. From an ugly drum smoker, a store bought vertical smoker, be it gas, electric, or charcoal, a beginner offset smoker like several of us have, all the way up to full competition tow-behind smokers! I really dig the fact that homebrewers and barbequers are very similar and that there is a kind of brotherhood amongst us. For the most part everyone gets along, we can talk for hours about our hobbies, debate technique endlessly, and in the end sit back and enjoy each others efforts.

+1, cheers!:mug:

I just occasionally check in on the UDS thread to see new builds. Only done one smoke. I hope to break it out more come spring when life has settled down a bit (we hope) and I have time to use it. I'll be over there more then looking for recipes.

yup it acts like a glue believe me no one will taste it . My wife hates mustard but loves the BBQ it just isnt a flavor when smoking

wet to the left and dry to the right guess which one wins in my house ... 2 racks gone before midnight . At least I can buy some more New years day and have it done by 5 pm

just_right.jpg

just_right_1.jpg

The brisket is just about done been on since 9 am its now 1:45.

The tip of the brisket came out fine I am trimming it off and it goes back on the grill with some onion,garlic,brown sugar and the runnings from the cut since its slightly burnt but moist and burnt are good things....mmmmmmm I could eat this everyday

Picture_00318.jpg

My UDS is being a little ***** tonight. It doesn't want to stay down at 225 for some reason. Ugg I should be in bed right now. Oh well as long as the venison shoulder and pork loin end up good!

Back