MoreBeer 14 Gallon Conical Fermenter and Yeast Harvester Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
I recently received my MoreBeer conical fermenter and wanted to provide my thoughts on the experience and quality as well as some decent pictures. This thread will get updated over the next week or so after I get in a brew day with the new equipment.

B3 (Beer, Beer and More Beer) 14 Gallon Stainless Steel Conical Review

Customer Service:
Always polite (Very important to me).
Did not always have the answer and spotty telephone follow up.
It seemed there was a disconnect between Customer Service and the Metal Shop.
I’m certain I was anxious, but the timeline was 2-3 weeks overdue (there’s a 7-8 week build time) and no one called to let me know why there was a delay. I’d be fine if someone told me it was going to be at least a few more weeks…but no call or email at all.

Order:
14 gallon conical
15” leg extension
Blow off kit
SS blow off bucket
Casters
Yeast harvester
CO2 pressure kit

Packing:
Excellent, packed with a plan, very compact, multiple boxes, no rubbing, double boxed, foam corners x 2…nicely done.

Quality:
I’m still looking, so far everything seems in very good shape, waiting until cleaning (pbw) and water test for final opinion and comments.

Sum of the whole:
15” leg extension
Wow…tall! (overall measurement and more details forthcoming)
Tri clamp onto stand. They (re)use the same parts as other areas (that’s using the ol’ noggin’…me likey).
I’m just tall enough to comfortably look down the top opening (almost five feet) to the bottom valve once assembled.
This does make a nice height for working with the Yeast Harvester as it is 15 3/16” from the bottom of it to the ground.

Blow off kit:
That’s one big @ss hose (1” ID)
The kit should have included a 90 fitting so the blow off hose makes a more graceful curve to the ss blow off bucket.

SS Blow off bucket:
This wasn’t on the list of accessories, but I saw it on the ultimate conical version and asked to purchase.
It looks like it will work well with just one zip tip holding it to the stand…and it will be quick release.

Wheel option:
Awesome…works well so far (not under load). Follow up forthcoming.
Tri clamp design…reuse of parts…nice.
They are “inline skate wheels”, not just rubber casters like from Lowes\HD.
The wheel assemblies are chrome\polished…nice quality housing, ball bearing support and have one of the nicest working brakes I’ve ever used on a caster.

Yeast harvester:
This thing looks like it should be a part of something dealing with nuclear physics…simply amazing…overkill…I love it!!!
If it works a fraction as good as it looks, I’ll be a happy camper!
Incredible piece of stainless steel and glass…and it holds yeast!

CO2 pressure kit:
Seems to be a solid build, comes with a plastic QR and hose barb (1/4”).

Points of origin:
It would be great to know that a good portion of this equipment came from the US. I believe there is a bit of work done (maybe welds) in their metal shop. The website does not detail, but here’s at least what I saw.
USA – at least on one clamp and more I’m sure.
China – SS T-Fitting on the CO2 kit.
India – SS Blow off bucket.

Pictures – Uploaded in gallery under Equipment, see link below. Keywords: conical, yeast harvester. I found it easiest to search under Equipment by UserName 'Zymurgy101'.

First Use – Forthcoming after first brew day.

First Brew – Victory Hop Devil AG Clone (Austin).

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=4

I hope this is helpful! :tank:

I bought the Yeast Harvester when it was about twenty bucks off as a 'Deal of the day', so that saved a little. Then I received a 10% off coupon once I registered on their site and I used that for the rest of the goodies. Everything was around $1200 once the dust settled. Let's see...how many six packs of DogFish Head 60 Minute IPA does that equal?! :eek:

It looks like it holds at least a pint, but I'll have to measure to be certain. Once I pull everything apart for cleaning, I'll validate.

Not really...13.7 cu ft should fit the bill...about $500 delivered new. My house is usually 72F and has always worked okay for my carboys. The fridge will just be the icing on the cake.

Its so shiny!!!

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it.

A question for you:

The racking arm and sample valve..... MoreBeer calls it a 1.5" Tri-clamp..but it looks like a 1" tri clamp on your photos. I say this because they say the dump valve is 1.5 and it looks bigger than the racking port. (I know the TC fitting is still 1.5 on a 1")

Is it a 1" or a 1.5" fitting?

Thanks!

A question for you:

The racking arm and sample valve..... MoreBeer calls it a 1.5" Tri-clamp..but it looks like a 1" tri clamp on your photos. I say this because they say the dump valve is 1.5 and it looks bigger than the racking port. (I know the TC fitting is still 1.5 on a 1")

Is it a 1" or a 1.5" fitting?

Thanks!

Hi Anthropod,

Happy to clarify! On both the racking arm and sample valve clamps, SUS 304 1.5", is engraved; the same as on the butterfly valve.

Wow! What a fast response! One more question. Is the actual hole on the conical, for the racking arm, 1 or 1.5 inches? Is it the same size for the dump valve?

Always happy to help! The OD of the welded racking arm port is 1" and the OD of the bottom dump it 1.5".

I've been really happy with the ease of use and quality thus far.

When summer arrives, I'll begin the quest for a refrigerator for temp control. At that point, I'll remove the casters and leg extensions and build a plywood platform for it to sit on. The base will be constructed in a "U" shape such that the yeast harvester will hang down below the feet of the conical. I'll post more pictures when that time arrives.

Did you ever find a fridge to fit this thing? I have the same exact setup and I'm struggling to find a refrigerator/upright freezer to house it. I also use yeast harvester, so 15" legs are required. I'm also going to get thermowell/blowoff assembly, which will add another 10". It's something like 65" when all is added.

Yes, I purchased a 13.2cu ft freezer from Lowes. However, you might have clearance issues due to the thermowell\blowoff. I've been using the top portion of a racking cane attached to tubing for the blowoff configuration. Also I have casters on the leg extensions along with 3\4" plywood squares which fit under each caster; this provides just enough room for inserting\removing the yeast harvester. Bottom line, I measured very carefully before I purchased. Fortunately, I did not have to remove the front door panel to close the door. Also, I did not drill a hole for the thermocouple; I just close it in the door, so it can always be used as a normal freezer. I tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and then tape a hugger, piece of foam, etc. over the probe to insulate. I've not checked the temperature difference with a lab thermometer (note to self:)).

Thanks for the response zymurgy101. Do you happen to have pictures?

Are you using 15" leg extensions? That's what I'm using (without casters) and I can't get it to fit into a 13.2 cubic foot upright freezer (with or without the thermowell kit).

I'm lucky that my garage stays 55-65 pretty much year round, but I'm itching to get a ferm chamber so that I can get my temps spot on and maybe even lager some day.

Thanks for the help!

Doh...I WAS using 15" leg extensions and the casters BEFORE I got the freezer. I had to go back and look to be sure...too many beers last night. Once I got the freezer, I just used the casters and then raised it slightly by cutting three pieces of plywood to go under the casters to allocate space for the yeast harvester. Sorry for the confusion! I knew I had purchased the 15" leg extensions; I had just forgotten I removed them.

I'll get you some pictures as well as the model number of the freezer; it's made by Electrolux.

I'd be very curious to see a photo of the conical in the fridge. The yeast harvester looks very interesting.

I bought a True Refrigerator cooler to house my conical with yeast harvester. Going to need to switch from 15" legs to 6" legs in order to work heightwise. 6" legs that they sell are minimum different height conical must be lifted to use harvester.

I'll post pictures once I get my setup complete.

I bought a True Refrigerator cooler to house my conical with yeast harvester. Going to need to switch from 15" legs to 6" legs in order to work heightwise. 6" legs that they sell are minimum different height conical must be lifted to use harvester.

I'll post pictures once I get my setup complete.

True Refrigerator = Commercial?

From what I have heard from those in the industry, True is superior to Beverage Air, currently.

Sorry, I forgot to follow up on my previous post with pictures. It's a tight fit, but I have had zero issues...and didn't have to alter the freezer! :D

Hope this helps! :mug:

Freezer Model Number.jpg

mini-DSC_4029.jpg

mini-DSC_4030.jpg

mini-DSC_4031.jpg

I use a pump and silocone hose. Then disconnect from the plate chiller and drain the last bit of malty goodness into the fermenter and start pumping oxygen for the yeast. In the pics, the yeast harvester isn't connected; however, there is still plenty of room for the hose and Thrumometer when it is attached.

mini-09 Chiller to Conical.jpg

mini-13 Coil Hose.JPG

Doesn't appear you could use the blow off kit with thermowell. How do you monitor the temperature? Thanks for posting pics!

I've cut off the top portion of a racking cane and connect it to tubing for active fermentations. After the blow off resides, I put on the normal air lock. The blow off kit from MoreBeer is overkill in my opinion; if you have blow off that requires a one inch ID hose.... lol

For temperture control, if you look carefully near the MoreBeer label on the conical in the picture, you'll see a strip of black duct tape and below it is the thermocoupler which is pressed againt the conical and surrounded by closed cell foam as an insulator. This is the method that John Blichmann suggests using with their conical and I find it works just fine. You can see the wire going over the door on the right hand side. I have not drilled the freezer; the wire just goes in between the freezer and magnetic seal on the door. I've had no issues with loss of cool air; moreover, you cannot feel any exchange of temperture in that area...if that makes sense.

Anything you would want to improve on with the conical? I have been researching conicals for the past couple weeks and I have narrowed it down to the more beer model or a stout. I like the Morebeer a little better due to the "extras" available, larger dump valve, and vendor.

how long is the silicone hose and how much beer do you lose to hoses and chillers? Sorry for all the questions, I'm considering a similar set up and want to do my homework before spending the big bucks ;)

how long is the silicone hose and how much beer do you lose to hoses and chillers? Sorry for all the questions, I'm considering a similar set up and want to do my homework before spending the big bucks ;)

I'll add to the question, how fast is your flow? My flow rate is rather slow when going into my fermenter.

I'm a very happy camper with the MoreBeer conical. I got it at a 10% discount (if memory serves) because I was a first time customer. I would not buy the CO2 adapter, the leg extensions or the blow off kit if I had it to do over as they are unnecessary for my application. Anyone interested in these items, please let me know. :) That said, there's nothing I cannot think of (other than price) that I'd change. For me, it did not make sense to buy the cooling jacket for the MoreBeer conical; the freezer and temp controller work best for my flow and can hold lagering temps even when external temperatures are far above room temerature.

I'd guess overall tubing length to be about twenty feet; you can see it in it's entirety in the picture with the coil of tubing in my hand (previous post) or by the attached pictures. I recapture all of the wort in the hose. The only loss is from the kettle to the pump to the chiller...very little. There is a quick connect junction about halfway in the length of the tubing (in the pic, it's where the tubing goes under the door). I mention this only as an FYI; a portion of the hose is used to fill the Mash Tun earlier in the day. The top of the conical is about five feet above the point where the wort exits the plate chiller. In the last picture, I have the silicone tubing doubled back in my hand such that no back syphon will occur.

Overall, I'm very happy with my setup and it's been producing more consistent results since I moved to the conical and freezer for temp control. I do plan to move to a three burner Top Tier and Tower of Power setup within the next year though...just to complicate things! lol

mini-06 Kettle to Pump.JPG

mini-07 Pump to Chiller.JPG

mini-08 Chiller to ....JPG

mini-09 Chiller to Conical.jpg

11 Remove Hose from Chiller.jpg

Forgot to address flow rate. I really don't know! LOL

I regulate flow until I'm about 72-76F going into the fermenter. Realizing there are drastic affects to aroma hops if left at a high temp in the kettle for too long, I don't sweat it knowing I have a freezer to efficiently lower my wort temp in short order.

Happy to help provide more info in the post. After using a conical for a year, there are no regrets. I cannot address the nuances between the manufacturers, but am sure most all of the current offerings would be a welcome addition to the homebrewer. I'll be happy to provide more insight on my setup at any time. If you're in the area, stop by and have a sample!

Forgot to address flow rate. I really don't know! LOL

I regulate flow until I'm about 72-76F going into the fermenter. Realizing there are drastic affects to aroma hops if left at a high temp in the kettle for too long, I don't sweat it knowing I have a freezer to efficiently lower my wort temp in short order.

Happy to help provide more info in the post. After using a conical for a year, there are no regrets. I cannot address the nuances between the manufacturers, but am sure most all of the current offerings would be a welcome addition to the homebrewer. I'll be happy to provide more insight on my setup at any time. If you're in the area, stop by and have a sample!

just noticed you are in NC... What part?

I'm in Wake Forest. I saw you were in Asheville some time ago; unfortunately, I don't make it out that far too often. I wish it weren't as far...awesome area! :D

Did you ever find out how much of the finicky is made in the us? I'm shopping for one and have I pretty much narrowed down to stout or more beer (I'd look a blichmann, but I don't want weld less fittings). MB makes it sound like its all made in their machine shop, which is one of he reasons I'm considering them., but if heir stuff is also Chinese I can get a stout comics $300 cheaper....

I have thermowell/blowoff assembly, which is part of the reason I got True refrigerator. While it is not "necessary" I am glad I got it, don't have to worry about aggressive fermentations and get most accurate temp reading.

I'm not sure yeast harvester is really worth it. Will know better after multiple uses. Will take 25+ repitches to pay for itself.

Definitely happy with the more beer conical thus far and would recommend.

Back