Fermentation not started after 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poseiron

Reaction score
Hello, I have prepared a belgium beer last night and there is no sign yet of fermentation starting. The room/wort is at a good temp and there is a good seal.
Can I add more yeast?
Looking for a quick answer as I am not sure howlong I can leave it like this.
Thanks for your help.
Ron:rockin:

i think it might be too early to start worrying, but if you really want to, you can pitch more yeast. Personally, I'd wait another day before I tried to mend it.

As long as it's sealed up all nice and good, you're in no immediate danger. Any reason to believe the yeast you pitched might have been bad?

Lots of simple explanations for your problem. The top two are: Give it more time and try not to worry. 24hrs isn't unheard of when you don't use a starter.

The second is that your using a plastic bucket and don't have a perfect seal around the lid. CO2 is escaping in an area of the lid.

Exo said:
Lots of simple explanations for your problem. The top two are: Give it more time and try not to worry. 24hrs isn't unheard of when you don't use a starter.

The second is that your using a plastic bucket and don't have a perfect seal around the lid. CO2 is escaping in an area of the lid.

I have waited as many as 3 days for signs of fermentation. You're brewing a belgian, and I'm assuming that that means a very high starting gravity. The higher the gravity, the longer you will wait for fermentation.

Did you use liquid yeast or dried? If liquid, how old was it? For every month past the date stamped on the yeast package, you should figure to add one day of lag time in your beer. A yeast starer would eliminate a lot of your lag time, no matter what the cause. Cheers.:mug:

Back