Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning a robust porter which will be oaked with Jack Daniel's chips, infused with Gentleman Jack to taste, and then aged for a nice long time before enjoying. This beer was inspired by Bluegrass Brewing's Bourbon Barrel Stout.
Since it will be oaked and aged I am aiming for the high end of maltiness and IBUs. I am not using any aroma hops since I want the Bourbon to come through in the nose. My planned efficiency is 85%. It will be fly sparged.

OG 1.064 / FG 1.015 / 6.3% ABV / 41 IBU

2-row (69%)
Munich (10%)
Brown Malt (5%)
British Crystal 40 (8%)
British Chocolate 400L (5%)
British Roasted Barley (3%)

.86oz Horizon 60
.75oz Cascade 20

4oz Bourbon Chips for 7-14 days
Bourbon infusion to taste.

Mash @156*F 60 min. with London water profile. Ferment with Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 2L starter, 68*F 3 weeks in primary, add oak for 1-2 weeks, then rack to keg and condition as long as I can stand to wait. ;)

Hopefully it won't overattenuate with this yeast. If it does I'll add some malto-dextrine powder to the keg. I want this thing to be thick and chewy.

Maybe it's just me, but I LOOOVE brown malt in a porter, and so I'd drop the Crystal and Munich a bit to accomidate for it, looking more like this:

8# 2-row (69%)
1# Munich (10%)
12oz Brown Malt
10oz Victory (5%)
8oz British Crystal 40 (4%)
10oz British Chocolate 400L (5%)
6oz British Roasted Barley (3%)

This would give it a little more color, and a load more depth, YMMV. the hop schedule looks tasty though.

Sounds nice. I did one similar last month (sans the bourbon and oak) and added 4 ounces of Lactose and 4 ounces of Malto.

I think I mashed at 155 for 60 minutes.

Hadn't throught about using brown malt. After consulting DGB and looking at the specs for brown malt, I'm wondering if it would be more appropriate to sub brown malt for the victory. The victory is in there to provide a nuttiness like M.O. but I think the brown malt would provide nuttiness as well.

Hadn't throught about using brown malt. After consulting DGB and looking at the specs for brown malt, I'm wondering if it would be more appropriate to sub brown malt for the victory. The victory is in there to provide a nuttiness like M.O. but I think the brown malt would provide nuttiness as well.

I haven't used much Victory in the past, but if it was in there to give you a nuttiness, yeah, go for a direct replacement, 5% will be quite nice, giving it a biscuit/nutty textural thing. I usually do my brown porters with 10% Brown malt or so, but you're using munich as well, so that'll kick up the malty back-bone. Sounds great!

Found another thread which suggests brown malt is a good direct sub for victory or biscuit, so I went ahead and made the swap (OP edited). I may use Randy Mosher's procedure and try making my own... (toast pale ale malt for 30-40 minutes at 450*F until the color of a brown paper bag)

I made a very similar recipe with the same yeast a while back (though mine was a mini-mash). It did in fact overattenuate and was a little thin. Not bad at all, but just a little too dry when combined with the oak and bourbon. I'll use a different yeast next time I make it. I also used ~16 oz of regular Jack.

I really suggest using WLP005 and WLP023, I love the taste of Ringwood in a porter, I don't know so much about the Dry English, but it sounds like it might not be the best fit for the job.

Latest posts

Back