Anything Unsafe in Stainless Nipples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewDecadeBrewery

Reaction score
Was looking for a 1/2" stainless nipple today and came across a website here http://www.zorotools.com/g/Sched.40 Welded SS Nipples 1 2" Pipe Size/00070959/#. When I went to add to my cart the website makes me swear that this wont be used in potable water applications in CA, MD, and VT - well I plan on using it on my fermenter, and it and I reside in CA. So, what gives? Is there something dangerous in stainless steel? These specifically said they are "welded" nipples. Is it something in the welding process that is unsafe? Why would a 1.5" supposedly fully threaded nipple be welded? I searched around on here and on the web and all I could find is something about lead and ANSI testing in California. Is it just that these nipples weren't specifically tested for lead, even though they may not contain any? Anyone on here know?

Was looking for a 1/2" stainless nipple today and came across a website here http://www.zorotools.com/g/Sched.40 Welded SS Nipples 1 2" Pipe Size/00070959/#. When I went to add to my cart the website makes me swear that this wont be used in potable water applications in CA, MD, and VT - well I plan on using it on my fermenter, and it and I reside in CA. So, what gives? Is there something dangerous in stainless steel? These specifically said they are "welded" nipples. Is it something in the welding process that is unsafe? Why would a 1.5" supposedly fully threaded nipple be welded? I searched around on here and on the web and all I could find is something about lead and ANSI testing in California. Is it just that these nipples weren't specifically tested for lead, even though they may not contain any? Anyone on here know?

316 stainless steel is food grade but 304 stainless steel is not food grade in the great state of California! This is because 304 stainless steel will corrode when exposed to acidic foods for long periods of time. 316 stainless steel will not corrode with the same exposure.

But 304 stainless steel is used in a lot of food processes every where else. 304 stainless steel should be fine for what you are doing.

304 stainless steel will corrode when exposed to acidic foods

That would explain why with my first conical that had a bad weld and rusted that it rusted into the two-piece 304 stainless ball valve. I am soaking the disassembled valve in oxy-clean free right now and scrubbing with a faucet brush but some of the rust is stubborn. Leads me to another question: What if I soak the valve in vinegar, will that work on stainless? Should I use CLR or something? I know, hi-jacking my own thread. :eek:

Funny thing - the nipple I was trying to purchase from the above mentioned web site was the slightly more expensive 316. They still wanted me to respond in writing that I wasn't going to use this nipple in potable water applications.

Get all of the active rust off the ball valve and it will pacify itself. Stainless steel will form its protective coating almost immediately when exposed to air but active rust prevents it from forming.

From what I know it doesn't matter if it's 304/304L or 316/316L that makes stainless sanitary. The finish of the material is usually what defines it as sanitary being in the mid 300 grit range and up. The higher the finish the less pits it will have and becomes more mirror like and to a pharmaceutical spec. 316 can handle a more corrosive environment/media and is favorable for these conditions but not needed for making beer let alone "potable water". One thing I would check into is why they make you sign or select that waiver. If this pipe was used with a nasty chemical running through it you would only want to use it for structural purposes or waste water...in other words...BE CAREFUL! What usually causes rust on stainless is something else contaminating it like a steel brush, band, bad weld or seriously corrosive stuff like sulfuric acid but just usually makes the stainless disappear all together. Just my 2 cents.

Just checked out the site. Crazy! I wonder why just those states don't allow it. Gonna check it out tomorrow. I wonder how many breweries in California are using 304 stainless.

It may be because the nipples are advertised as "welded". Maybe it's something in the welding process.

Another thought is that there is some certification - I think it is called ANSI, and maybe these products haven't been certified although they are perfectly safe 304 and 316 stainless, so therefore they aren't legal for use in potable water applications. So it would be kind of like a technicality that they wouldn't be legally "approved" or whatever for potable water but still perfectly safe.

I know I was a little taken back when they wanted me to "testify" that I wouldn't use the nipple in potable water applications. Being no expert in stainless steel I thought I would post it here on HBTalk and get some feedback on whether or not there are any safety issues with stainless or perhaps welded stainless.

Perhaps all the 304 stainless in use by breweries in Ca has been specifically certified or something for use by the ANSI or whomever. If this is the case then what implications does it have for stainless products designed to be used in home brewing applications? Perhaps there are different laws involved for home brewing vs commercial brewing applications. I just hadn't heard of any of his stuff until a couple days ago and I definitely have more questions than answers. The bottom line for me is whether there is actually a safety issue whether it has been certified or tested or not. I believe stainless is safe and this is the first time I have ever heard anything about stainless not being legal or approved for potable water. Like I said I am no expert though.

The welded doesn't have anything to do with it. In fact I'm pretty sure all of the major Mills (in the US) that provide Sanitary tubing are all laser welded. They polish the inside to make it seamless though making it an A270 spec. but technicall it's still rolled and welded. Some provide seamless tubing but it's usually electroploshed for seriously clean and sensitive applications like semiconductor plants and such.

I think I found it.
http://www.nsf.org/business/water_distribution/standards.asp?program=WaterDistributionSys

I think it's basically that site and those "304" nipples in general? A lot of pipe, tubing and nipples will be dual cert 304/304L. The L stands for low carbon. 304 carbon MAX is right around .08 while 304L is .03. 316 and 316L is the same exact amount of carbon but a higher Nickel %. From the pictures it does look like they are stamped but I can't tell if it's dual grade. Either way you're good and don't be scared. Here in Phoenix there are TONS of food processing plants that use 304/304L. Possibly your bottled water you're drinking or eating, gatorade, pepsi, coke, potato chips, subway dough, bakeries, hot sauce and so many more.

Back